Help! Lincoln Fan Problem

I have a 1996 Lincoln Continental, and when you turn off the ignition the fan keeps running. This just started today. Later, when I restarted the car, and set the heat/ac to "auto-heat, the
fan came on. What could be the problem? I would appreciate it if someone would point me in the right direction in solving this problem.
I await your expert responses.
Thanks, Tom