Help Me Install Spark Plugs In My 2000 Expedition

Hello,
I am new, just signed on.
My truck, a 2000 Expedition. Spark Plug #5 is mis-firing. I found this out through a free diagnostic at the local auto parts store.
Are there any tips on how to replace a spark plug, I am a single mom, in a new city, with no money for a dealership.
So if there is any way this can be done at home, I follow good directions really well, and if anyone is willing to help.
It would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much in return.
Michelle
There can be more to it than the plug itself. You have a misfire on the #5 cylinder. The plug wire may be bad. Or the injector at that cylinder might be bad. The plug is the cheapest thing to change so in your situation it's well worth a try. Maintenance is never bad.
Unfortuntely changing the plugs on an Expedition can be difficult. The later model Expedition engines all use individual coils on each plug (earlier 4.6L engines used a setup with four coils and traditional wores). Lucky for you, the #5 plug is the front left plug (front plug on drivers side), so it is relatively easy to access. The Ford procedures call for removing the fuel rail that is located over the coil packs that are installed on the plugs, but if you are only changing the #5 plug, this might not be necessary. It is not necessarily the plug that is bad. In fact it is more likely that it is the actual coil, or the coil boot. For a description of the proceedure for changing the plugs, see:
http://truckworld.tenmagazines.com/tenArticle.asp?aid#9&sidB&cat &sc=2
Be sure to torque the new plug properly. At a minimum I'd replace the plug and boot. These two item are relatively inexpensive. The coil will be around $70, so you might want to chance not replacing it. This is not an easy job for an inexperienced mechanic. Be sure the engine is cool before you start. Otherwise you might strip the threads in the head. Also be very careful when you install the new plug. If you cross thread the plug, you will have major problems. And be sure to torque it properly - use a torque wrench.
Ed

Take it to a car wash and give it a good cleaning, especially around where you will be working. Anything that falls into the plug hole will go through your engine as soon as you start it.
Thank you all so much
I have printed out all your replies, and I will read them, put them all together, and I dont believe I will go wrong.
I will keep the group posted as to how it all cam out!!
Thanks Again!
Michelle
"" wrote: > Hello, > > I am new, just signed on. > > My truck, a 2000 Expedition. Spark Plug #5 is mis-firing. I > found this out > through a free diagnostic at the local auto parts store. > > Are there any tips on how to replace a spark plug, I am a > single mom, in a > new city, with no money for a dealership. > > So if there is any way this can be done at home, I follow good > directions > really well, and if anyone is willing to help. > > It would be greatly appreciated. > > Thanks so much in return. > > Michelle
Also each cylinder has its own coil,could be the coil or the boot that connects the coil to the plug.
I have replaced more coils than I have plugs on this type of Ford SUV.But like someone has already said the plug is the cheapest thing to try first.