HELP on BIG Sedan Question

Page 1 of 2
Though I am a "Truck Guy" I have moved my 86-year-old mother into my home to live with us. As she cannot get into my truck or my mini van I need a four-door sedan.
As I have out of the car market for years and years I have no idea what there is out there that will serve our purpose. I want the biggest %#@*&@ four door sedan there is. I want a Hummer2 that is as low as a car so she can get in and out of it. She has a really bad hip and can't step up or down out of anything except a car. I know or think the Town car is the biggest around. Am I right? I'd even consider a (I hate to say this) GM or Chrysler product. And maybe if I slam my fingers in a car door several times I'd even look at a foreign car. I want big and four doors. Since it won't be used all that much I'd like to stay with a 1999 or 2000 year and somewhere around $5000 or so. Any suggestions. Thanks for your help Gene
Crown Vics or Grand Marquis are big sedans. I don't know if you'll find a 99 for $5,000 unless it has high mileage.

Indianaradio wrote:

Biggest? Um - a F250 crew cab with a long bed that's been lowered and has the neon running boards and the 1000 watt stereo system and...
;)
My recommendation would be a Crow Vic or a Park Avenue. Both are well made large cars with tons of rear seat room. Need bigger? Get an older Buick Roadmaster. Biggest cushiest boat Buick ever made. Swallows up people like a VW bug in one of those college car stuffing contests. :)
On 17 Jan 2004 16:18:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Indianaradio) wrote:

Do you listen to WIBC ???
Gary
Gaqry: Yes I listen to WIBC all the time except when RushFfreekO is on. What a wast of good air time.
On 17 Jan 2004 23:23:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Indianaradio) wrote:

Figured as much.....I live In Lebanon in Boone County, what city you live in??
Gary
I live 3 miles North of Brownsburg, one block off 267 Gene
If you cannot find a satisfactory Ford product, I would suggest looking at late-80s Caprices. My brother picked up a 305 powered, 700-R4 car with the police suspension package for around $3k. Find one with a throttle body induction (skip the worthless feedback carbs) and stick with a 305 or 350. The previous owner had all the maintanance records on my bro's, and in 160,000 miles its only problems have been a leak in the AC, the upper bushing in the distributor went bad, and it took a new set of shocks at 100k. It certainly fits the bill as a large, cushy, four-door, easy entry/exit car, and if you look around for a awhile, you can still find good ones for pretty low cost.
Mark
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 09:18:39 -0700, Indianaradio wrote:

--
remove 'spamsucks' from mail addy for replies.
I fart in Darl McBride's general direction.
Indianaradio wrote:

The Crwon Victoria, Mercury Marquis of Lincoln Town Car will probably suit you.
--
Tom
TS3

The Lincoln Town Car is probably the biggest Ford car available in the US. However, for an 86 year old person of limited mobility, you may want to consider which dimension the bigness should be in. Some such people prefer low floor, high ceiling cars for ease of entry and exit. So it is possible that a smaller but taller car may be easier for her to get in and out of.
If you strongly prefer Ford, you may want to be aware that Ford owns or controls Mazda, Volvo, and Jaguar as well as Mercury and Lincoln. That may give you more choices of vehicles to look at.
Timothy J. Lee

slam my

And a smaller car would do less damage to others if she confuses the pedals.
Bill 2 wrote:

Or they could change the pedals like they've suggested for years and start making cars with automatic transmissions that have the brake pedal to the left, so that you have to use your left foot to brake.
Virtually impossible to mix up the pedals that way and you get faster reaction times(though it takes a month or so to relearn, much like driving stick for the first time)
Sorry to confuzzzzzzzz you'll but she won't be driving the car. Unlike most people over 70 or so that shouldn't be driving, still have license, still drive into there late eighties. She told me one day that she didn't think she was as good as she use to be at driving and that she wasn't going to renew her license. I think she was 75 or so. I was supprised. I really always felt safe the few times she drove with me in her car and I really thought I wouldn't have to have THAT TALK with her for several years. But She knew way before I noticed anything. I just wish older people were that aware of their shortcoming behind the wheel like she was. Me, you can pry my keys from my hands at 102 if I'm dead, maybe. But I want to thank you all for your input. Gonna sell her 86 Olds Delta Braun with 50,000 miles and buy her a new car. I get to drive:) Gene
the lincoln town car, merc grand marquis, and ford crown vic are the same size car, just different price tags for different options
Perhaps in your world, but not in the real world. ;)
mike hunt
Falcoon wrote:

Best thing to do is visit the dealerships and try them out.
four door sedan there is. I want a Hummer2 that is as

the crown vic, merc grand marquis ,and lincoln town car are the same thing, only different prices and options
The is a common misconception. While it is true that Crown Vic and Grand Marquis, are basically the same vehicle built in the same plant with different styling, different prices and options, the Town car is a completely separate vehicle from those. The T-Car does use the same engine and tranny but it is built on a different chassis with a larger heavier frame, with a different body, different suspension and it is built in a different assemble plant.
mike hunt
Falcon wrote:

I'm thinkin Crown Vic.
four door sedan there is. I want a Hummer2 that is as

slam my

I have had excellent luck with my parents (85) and my Crown Vic. My Dad can't walk and Mom uses a walker. Mom gets in and out by herself.
Mine is a '95 - they're quite cheap these days. I live in Ohio now (but a born Hoosier) and I understand the Ohio Highway Patrol sells their cars before they reach 100k miles. I guess lots of local police buy them but a state auction would be a good start...
PoD