help please 2 problems

1992 Merc Topaz, original engine, runs great.

Problem 1. Recently did a complete break job, and new tires.. then hit a pot hole.. Ended up ruining a rear seal on the back side passenger side. Put a new one on and new bearings too. Put "speedy sleeves" on, because of wear marks on the backside of the shaft.

Now going down the road, the passengerside rear wheel makes a loud sound like its dragging or rubbing on something. Cannot see any wear marks in the wheel well, the wheel itself is tight on the wheel shaft.. No play in the wheel.

Sound goes away when doing a sharp right hand gradual turn like on a "s" curve or somethign like that..

Problem 2, Luggage rack on truck is leaking. Tried removing the screws that hold it down, but unable to do so on 3 of them. The "plugs" the screws go into look like hollowed out rivits. Need to re-seal around the backside ones (the ones closest to the bumper).. but don't know about those back screws. I mean, I don't want to take the silly thing apart if I cannot get parts to put it back to gether with. Know what I mean? I might have to drill out the "screw holders" if thats what they are called.

This is a standard "luggage rack" type thing on the trunk that I think is more to make it look sporty than to actually carry anything.

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
MacZeff

#1 is likely a problem with the wheel bearing. The change in sound as you turn indicates a problem with one of the races. If the new bearing was tapped into position or hit anywhere but on the edge of the inner race, it could very easily have been scored or pitted. It could also be just too darn tight. Take the cap off the nut and check. A quick and dirty way to adjust the proper nut pressure is to turn it in all the way by hand, snug it up very slowly with a wrench while rotating the bearing. When it begins to drag, back off the nut 1/4 turn and lock into position. Make sure there is no lateral play in the wheel!

Reply to
<sandy.hawes

Pull the bearings and see if the inner races (or sleeves) are spinning.

Did you replace the outer races? Or nick them?

Sandy is right..My kid had his bearings on his Topaz replaced and the mech short-cutted because the outers looked good. Failed again in 5000 miles... needing new (used from junkyard) spindles.

That is a threaded pop-rivet type fastener on the trunk problem. Drill out and replace using a sealer around it.

MacZeff opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

We replaced everything, the races, the bearings..

I just jacked up the car (2 hours ago) and the damm wheel was loose. This is the 3rd set of Bearings/seals I have put into it. This time I snugged up the nut, and backed it off only a hair, just enough to get the cotter pin in.

The pop rivit on the trunk lid, yeah, I thought so.. but what about those 3 screws that are used for the "wind spoiler" or what ever its called on the back edge? Is that just another rivit that has screwes screwed into them? Thanks.

Reply to
MacZeff