Help please, (R&R starter-97 Bird 4.6)

Crapped out on me this morning. Been sounding a little strange so I checked the battery. No problem there, but no response at all, no clicking, nothing.

Anyone have experience like this?

How difficult is it to R&R the starter?

Reply to
F.H.

Left the car parked until this evening in front of the auto parts store where it crapped out. Planned to have it towed after hours but I went back and it started. Starter sounded a little strange but it started. At home it started again, several times.

Any guesses as to what could cause this? It was not hot. I had > Crapped out on me this morning. Been sounding a little strange so I

Reply to
F.H.

Make sure the battery connections are clean and tight. If you have a starter solenoid mounted on the right inner fender, those are common problems. Another common problem is corrosion of the ignition connection to the starter which tends to corrode and loosen over time. There once was a TSB on this. The terminal should be removed, cleaned and tightened. It needs to be tightened. Tightening can sometimes be accomplishes by sqyeezing it a bit with pliers. If the corrosion is bad, the wire end of the connector may need to be replaced. If the starter still does not get the job done, a rebuilt is in order. One other place to consider is the ignition switch if yours is one of those that should have been replaced because of the recall a few years ago. There was also a TSB on that.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

The battery was fully charged and the terminals clean. The solenoid is on the starter so..... It was just so weird the way it went from working to nothing, zip, not a click or sound of any kind to starting hours later.

The auto parts store is only two blocks from home so it wasn't a heat factor. Think it will turn out to be the starter but it sure is strange. Will post in case anyone is curious.

Reply to
F.H.

You didn't say, so I gotta ask ... when it failed to start, were the lights and other electricals working?

Puddin' Man

Yep. Everything was working just fine. Consensus seems to be starter.

Reply to
F.H.

Makes it easier. There's only so many circuits involved in starter operation.

Puddin' Man

When it is working, do a voltage drop test. With a good battery and good, clean connections at the battery starter switch (if u have one) and at the starter itself, a corroded (internally) cable will result in a high voltage reading.

DaveD

Reply to
Dave D