Help - Voltage Reg.?

I put a new alternator in my 89 Tempo last year, with the correct belt tension. These are a pain but I had my veteran-mechanic neighbor verify that it was fine the other day when I was doing other work. The voltage began oscillating at idle (all lights pulsing) and it would go away once off-idle. Now it happens all the time, to the point that the spark voltage goes up and down and you can feel the car cut out a little, to the exact rhythm of the lights dimming.

Did I get a POS alternator? Does the 89 have an external regulator? The Haynes manual (sp?) shows that it's internal, and so I'd have to just replace the freaking alternator again. It's a 2.3.

If I have to replace the alt., any suggestions on aftermarket brands to avoid or ask for?

Thanks.

Reply to
Wound Up

Wound Up opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net:

google search on this group, for my article on refurbing an alternator.

get one from a junkyard and replace the brushes.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I think you're chasing an alternator problem when you should be chasing an idle surge problem. The surge is likely the cause of the voltage fluctuation instead of a symptom of it. Bob

Reply to
Bob

He said it does it at cruise speed now too unless I read it wrong. It sounds like it could be the reg or brushes. I would also clean the battery cables and check for bad connections. Then see if they can warranty the thing before buying a new one.

Reply to
Scott M