Help with 2000 Mountaineer

The "O/D OFF" light is flashing on my instrumentation cluster & I can't get it to stop. I pressed the switch on the gearshift lever but it keeps
flashing. Can someone tell me what is going on?
Thanks in advance!
@wi.rr.com says...

It means the computer detected a problem with your transmission. It's the equivalent of the Check Engine light. You need to get the code pulled to see what it was.
About all you can do otherwise is heck the fluid level. If it got low, it may have detected a shift problem.
Take it to a dealership or other competent service shop. That flashing light is telling you there is a problem with the tranny.
mike hunt
"Mr. Stein" wrote:

It may still be in warranty. If it is, the dealership is the way to go.
Jeff