Help with a 96 Taurus check engine

This is my sisters car, which I haven't seen yet. It's a 96 Taurus 4 door sedan, with the Vulcan 3.0.
It was bought used from a friend of theirs, and the check engine has been on
since before she bought it.
She got it tested, and she said the code was 'maybe 430', and said the tech said it was for 'maybe the catalyst'.
Now, if it's the catalyst, I'm assuming it means the catalytic converter. At which point I'm wondering if it really is the cat, or possibly the o2 sensors? There are 2, in front of and after the cat.
She's bringing it by Saturday, so I'll have more information then. I just wanted to get some ideas before ripping into a project I'm doing for free.
What do ya'll think?
Thanks Steve
SMoo wrote:

http://www.autotap.com/generic_trouble_codes.html
Catalyst efficiency? Who knows. I would definitely put some new plugs and wires (If it needs it) on it and look for a vacuum hose leaks anywhere. Maybe a close inspection of the exhaust systems for any dents, cracks or other abnormalities. Then reset check engine the lamp and see what else comes up. If its under 80K miles, you might still quality for federal emissions warranty and be able to get a free cat out of the deal. Call a Ford dealer for particulars and ask about the Federal emissions warranty requirements.
BOB
Can you reset the light w/o a scanner?
Unplug the battery for an hour?

been on

tech
converter. At

just
free.
Yes, but that will clear any furthur codes that may be in the computer that could have been stored after it was diagnosed...
r/ -IanCT

Understood, but I would like to have no other codes but what is wrong floating around in there.
Thanks for all ya'lls help Steve

the
o2
Just unplug for a few SECONDS!!!