Help with getting new keys for Ford Ka?

Just bought a 1999 Ford Ka. Only one (black!) key available. Went to Ford dealer to get a second key cut. Apparently I have to buy two additional keys (one red master
and one black key) and then have them cut by a locksmith and then programmed by a Ford dealer. Total cost about EUR100 ($110 / 70) Anyone know if there are any cheaper alternatives out there? Or can I cripple the security/transponder thingy and just use the mechanical key?
Mikey
Well if you just want to cripple PATS, tape the one good key you have under the dash near the sterring column (or in the colum if there is room). Then you can use a conventional key all the time. There is an "antenna wire that runs from the PATS module to the keylock. If you can find that, tape the good key to that wire. If you are worried about someone finding the good key and using it to steal the car, just mess up the key cut so it won't work. With the transponder key located close enough to the antenna, any conventionl non-PATS key will work as long as it has the proper cut.
Regards,
Ed White
Mikey wrote:

Before you disable the pats, have a quick look here. I think you may be able to program the new key yourself. I think the ka and the escort use same pats system. maybe somebody else can give more precise knowledge. http://www.fordf150.net/howto/patskey.php

For newer Fords you need two working PATS keys to prgram a third key. They did this to keep parking attendants from making working copies, but it is a pain in the butt if you loose one of the keys before you program the third. A dealer can use there equipment to program keys directly, but they usually charge a lot.
Ed Vicky Vale wrote:

When I buy a new car I always ask the dealer to throw in a third key, just before I write my check, works every time. ;)
mike hunt
"C. E. White" wrote:

Ed, I just love this solution. I love it. So simple. So obvious. Why didn't I think of it? :-)
Now to find a locksmith who will cut some cheap non-PATS keys. I assume it will be a lot cheaper than a key with the transponder included. Will post the results of my efforts. Thanks again
Mikey

try.....http://www.anthony-eyden-locksmiths.com/transponder-keys.html or do a search for lock smiths that can progrm transponder keys!

Do some research on stolen cars. You might change your tune a little. There is nothing "evil" about the PATS key. It is relatively cheap and works well. The vehicles that have it, have it for a reason. Most of those vehicles are stolen, and stolen a lot.

Thomas Moats opined in wrote

Ah, Thomas.. consider the source... this guy recommends a Jetta to someone who wants a reliable car....
;)
Sorry Cory.