Help with getting new keys for Ford Ka?

Just bought a 1999 Ford Ka. Only one (black!) key available. Went to Ford dealer to get a second key cut. Apparently I have to buy two additional keys (one red master and one black key) and then have them cut by a locksmith and then programmed by a Ford dealer. Total cost about EUR100 ($110 / £70) Anyone know if there are any cheaper alternatives out there? Or can I cripple the security/transponder thingy and just use the mechanical key?

Mikey

Reply to
Mikey

Well if you just want to cripple PATS, tape the one good key you have under the dash near the sterring column (or in the colum if there is room). Then you can use a conventional key all the time. There is an "antenna wire that runs from the PATS module to the keylock. If you can find that, tape the good key to that wire. If you are worried about someone finding the good key and using it to steal the car, just mess up the key cut so it won't work. With the transponder key located close enough to the antenna, any conventionl non-PATS key will work as long as it has the proper cut.

Regards,

Ed White

Mikey wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

Before you disable the pats, have a quick look here. I think you may be able to program the new key yourself. I think the ka and the escort use same pats system. maybe somebody else can give more precise knowledge.

Vicky Vale

Ed, I just love this solution. I love it. So simple. So obvious. Why didn't I think of it? :-)

Now to find a locksmith who will cut some cheap non-PATS keys. I assume it will be a lot cheaper than a key with the transponder included. Will post the results of my efforts. Thanks again

Mikey

Reply to
Mikey

Kind of says something, don't ya think?

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Thomas Moats opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Ah, Thomas.. consider the source... this guy recommends a Jetta to someone who wants a reliable car....

;)

Sorry Cory.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
alan.f

Reply to
C. E. White

When I buy a new car I always ask the dealer to throw in a third key, just before I write my check, works every time. ;)

mike hunt

"C. E. White" wrote:

Reply to
BenDover