Help with Taurus alternator?

Hi all,
We've got a '96 model Australian Ford Taurus Ghia(fully imported). Just yesterday the alternator in it died, and we were just quoted the ridiculous sum of $1400AUD to have it replaced. I was wondering if any
of you knew whether it would be possible for us to import the part from America, and if so, if you knew any reliable and cheap online parts stores? How much does an item like an alternator usually weigh? Is it the sort of item that is safe to buy refurbished/stripped or should we make sure to get a new one(if we're forced to buy locally in Australia we could probably only afford a recycled unit).
Thanks for any help or thoughts you can provide,
Jonathan
spend 200$ and have it rebuilt , any good autosparky will do it .
Jonathan Solomon wrote:

--

atec wrote:

dont know what the exchange rate is but they might be quoting you the price to get it installed.. not familar with the australian ford but in the US. any 96 model ford the alt. is on the bottom way in the back and hard to get to on the v-6 engines... that might be the problem????
First of all thats not a Taurus thats a Taunus your talking about, its a japaneese ford, some clone some damn jap decided he had to have over american products.