Hesitant on acceleration

Just bought my daughter her first car - a 98 Escort 4dr with the 2.0 L engine. Pretty nice little car with 83K miles.
It has one problem. On acceleration from a stop, or when accelerating
from a cruise speed (around 40 mph) the engine shutters as its climbing up. Initially I thought one of the injectors is dirty. If you accelerate very easy, it doesn't shutter. Almost feels like a bad accelerator pump on a carbureted vehicle. Could this still be an injector problem or is there a psuedo accelerator circuit on the fuel injection system that may be bad?

find that you need plug wires as well.
The seller had Bosch Platinum plugs installed. I can change the wires and filter. My main question was of how the fuel delivery system works and whether it has some type of acceleration circuit.

position, manifold pressure, egine temp, ect. to determine how much to open the injectors. The closest thing the what you are discribing would be the throttle position sensor (TPS).
Is it vacuum advance? Could the vacuum line be loose or dried and leaky?
--

Tom Line
tlineN0 snipped-for-privacy@iglou.com

check the cat... i had mine clogged with a similar problem.. does it rev sitting still in neautrel?
Ken

Easy acceleration rate and its smooth. So I would say its not related to load. Are there any other symptoms that could be related to a clogged cat?
A plugged converter will make the engine feel as if it has run out of gas. Power will drop sharply, RPM will go down. Low engine speed will be pretty much normal, as the restriction gets bigger eventually the engine will not run because it can not push out the exhaust. So in laymen's terms I doubt very much you have a plugged converter. It would be more likely a transmission problem than a exhaust problem ( not that I'm saying you have a transmission problem, just that it's far more likely than a exhaust. I would be more inclined to say you have an ignition system problem such as a bad coil pack. Yes I know you said the seller changed plugs, but when and how many miles before you bought the car? Did you take out the plugs and check them your self? Maybe one was damaged when installed.