Hesitant on acceleration

Just bought my daughter her first car - a 98 Escort 4dr with the 2.0 L engine. Pretty nice little car with 83K miles.

It has one problem. On acceleration from a stop, or when accelerating from a cruise speed (around 40 mph) the engine shutters as its climbing up. Initially I thought one of the injectors is dirty. If you accelerate very easy, it doesn't shutter. Almost feels like a bad accelerator pump on a carbureted vehicle. Could this still be an injector problem or is there a psuedo accelerator circuit on the fuel injection system that may be bad?

Reply to
Gavin Hill

==================== Your first step should be a tune up, -fuel filter and spark plugs. You might find that you need plug wires as well.

Reply to
Scott M

The seller had Bosch Platinum plugs installed. I can change the wires and filter. My main question was of how the fuel delivery system works and whether it has some type of acceleration circuit.

Reply to
Gavin Hill

Is it vacuum advance? Could the vacuum line be loose or dried and leaky?

Gavin Hill wrote: : Just bought my daughter her first car - a 98 Escort 4dr with the 2.0 L : engine. Pretty nice little car with 83K miles. : : It has one problem. On acceleration from a stop, or when accelerating : from a cruise speed (around 40 mph) the engine shutters as its : climbing up. Initially I thought one of the injectors is dirty. If you : accelerate very easy, it doesn't shutter. Almost feels like a bad : accelerator pump on a carbureted vehicle. Could this still be an : injector problem or is there a psuedo accelerator circuit on the fuel : injection system that may be bad?

Reply to
Tom Line

================= There is no "accel circuit". The computer looks at sensors such as throttle position, manifold pressure, egine temp, ect. to determine how much to open the injectors. The closest thing the what you are discribing would be the throttle position sensor (TPS).

Reply to
Scott M

Reply to
Thomas Moats

check the cat... i had mine clogged with a similar problem.. does it rev sitting still in neautrel?

Reply to
Ken Gallo Jr

It behaves the same way. "Normal" acceleration rate and it stumbles. Easy acceleration rate and its smooth. So I would say its not related to load. Are there any other symptoms that could be related to a clogged cat?

Reply to
Gavin Hill

Reply to
Thomas Moats