High Milage Exploder

I have a 93 Explorer with 150K on the clock.It has been a good rig, but I have developed a problem recently.When I take off from a stop (especially in a turn) I get a rubling noise.This happens only during
the initial aceleration.The motor and trans are fine.The problem only happens when I have been driving for awhile.I had the rear end rebuilt a couple years back and I suspect this could be the problem.I do all of my own maintenence (With this exeption, guess it serves me right).The car is a 2 wheel drive.Has anyone experienced this? Thanks

So whats yer axle code?
If you have a limited slip, it could be the friction material in the discs has erroded away and now its time for replacement.
If you have an open diff, then it could be the spider gears and side gears are worn from lack of lubricant because one tire is spinning faster than the other constantly (two different sized tires on the same axle). It could also possibly be a cracked or broken spider gear causing undue torque on the other gear causing the noise..
Just my $0.02
Ford Tech

Dear Ford Tech, Thanks for the resonse.Where is the axle code?Both tires are the same size.Is there any way to verify this stuff about the spider gears without a tear down?If I did need to replace these gears, what would be the best course of action, Junkyard?Or are there Ford or aftermarket parts that would do it.Thanks
wrote:> Dear Ford Tech,

Reid,
Axle code is a two digit code on your certification label on the drivers door pillar. Its in the very bottom row, and has AX CODE above it. Its on pg 12 of the document below..
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/quickref/think/workshopmanual/Section%201%20General%20Information.pdf
Should be an D something or 4 something code. D something is the code for limited slip and 4 something is an open diff... Check out this website it explains all the axle codes. Scroll down to middle of page.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html
Happy Hunting.. Ford Tech

Freudian slip?;-)

No, just a joke. I heard a guy at a body shop use this term once, and ever since then I have used it too.I used it here because I thought it would have been seen before on RAF
On low speed turns... if it's limited slip ..FIRST add half bottle of Ford Friction modifier.

you pay..DEAL with it!
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

Don't listen to the drivel posted by the Backyard Mechanic. He's a hack. ;)
That was a just a good natured poke at a fellow that I haven't seen here in a while. Heed the advice. The friction modifier will likely work. Backyard is a smart cookie, just don't let him know. It'll go to his head. ;)
Hey BY, where ya been? I haven't seen you post here in a while. I hope all is well with you and yours.