Higher Oil Viscosity?

Page 2 of 2
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Well, I don't really care one iota if it's good enough for you. It's good enough for me. I'm satisfied that thicker oil (to a point) is an advantage when running an engine hard in hot weather. If you want to take the party line that the manufacturer's recommendation is always in your best interest, that's fine with me. Kinda like "Hi, I'm from the IRS, and I'm here to help you" Or "don't confuse me with facts, my mind's already made up"
If someone can show me with repeatable anecdotal evidence that thinner oil is better I'll look at that evidence. So far I have not had ANYONE give me credible information that would point to thinner oil solving or preventing a problem (I mean thinner "hot" viscosity. I can see lower "cold" viscosity being an advantage in cold weather. That's well proven.
On Mon, 26 May 2008 23:18:54 -0400, Roger Hamilton

It sounds like what you have been doing is working. It may be a mistake to change if there has been no recent change in operating conditions. It is my understanding that 5w30 oil is made with a higher quality stock with a high quality additive package to achieve the 5w rating. It doesn;t sound "broken" so don't try to fix it.
Lugnut
On Mon, 26 May 2008 23:18:54 -0400, Roger Hamilton

Stick with the 5W30 if it's working for you. I wouldnt switch back to the 5W20. The 5W30 probably GOT you to the 120K with less wear than the 5W20...
Ford switched from 5W30 to 5W20 because 5W20 gave ~1% better gas mileage...period. There was NO change in the internal engine components/clearances that I am aware of. The slightly heavier oil will IMHO protect better under load and at higher rpms. Ford lists 5W30 as an alternate spec for many engines.
Note that diesels and many European gasoline cars use heavier oil for better protection under load/hgh rpm. My 2005 Jetta 2.0l takes 5W40, many diesels take 15W40.
Yes, you can go TOO heavy, but the 5W30 should be fine in a healthy engine.
Don (who runs BMW/Castrol 5W30 synthetic in his 03 F150 4.2 and 99 Taurus Duratec 3.0) Don Byrer KJ5KB Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy Glider & CFI wannabe kj5kb-at-hotmail.com
"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..." "Watch out for those doves...<smack-smack-smack-smack...>"
wrote :I have been using 5-30, Mobil 1 synthetic since day one in my 2002 F250. I now have 120K miles on it and should I be thinking of a higher viscosity oil range with the higher mileage? I have no noticeable oil usage that I can detect visually. Engine sounds tight and no observable oil leaks from engine component areas, etc... -------------------------------- you know something the manufacturer doesnt about what weight to use in their engine op ???