Higher Oil Viscosity?

Most of these years did not involve the oils that are available today.

I never said thin oil is better. Only that the oil recommended by the engine maker is best.

And yet, you have no evidence that this is not the best oil for the engines.

jeff

Reply to
Jeff

OK - When this "thin is better" crap started I was a dealer service manager and I was replacing camshafts and timing chain tensioners. LOTS of them. Didn't matter how often the oil was changed, in hot weather cams, tensioners, and chains were failing.

My brother was at a Ford shop and they had cam problems on the 2.3, particularly in the south. They found using 10W40 and 20W50 oil completely eliminated the problem

I said "enough" and went back to using 10W40 in the winter and 20W50 in the summer.

Guess what? I wasn't replacing camshafts, chains, or tensioners on my customer's vehicles any more!!! I was still replacing them on engines using 5W30 oil in 90 degree plus summer temperatures - following the manufacturer's recommendations. When I told the "road man" what I was doing (because my warrany claims were WAY down) he said he could not, legally, recommend it because the vehicles were certified by the US EPA and Canadian MOE for their fuel economy using the thin oil. He also said he could not with a clear conscience argue with the results and there would be no effect on the vehicle warrantee if I continued doing what I was doing.

The heavier oil was extending the life of the engine significantly. And I NEVER had a bearing failure on the engines I serviced this way. MANY went well over 300,000 km (and we are talking 1980's vintage 4 and 6 cyl engines).

Even the notorious 2600cc Mitsu/Mopar "Hemi" would last if it ran

20W50 in the summer, with 3000 mile change intervals. Following the 6000 mile "factory recommended" change interval with the "factory recommended" 10W30 or 5W30 oil (or any combination thereof) and the tensioners went bad and the timing chains got noisy and let go before 100,000 (often before 100,000 km - or 60,000 miles)
** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Reply to
Jeff

wrote :I have been using 5-30, Mobil 1 synthetic since day one in my

2002 F250. I now have 120K miles on it and should I be thinking of a higher viscosity oil range with the higher mileage? I have no noticeable oil usage that I can detect visually. Engine sounds tight and no observable oil leaks from engine component areas, etc...

-------------------------------- you know something the manufacturer doesnt about what weight to use in their engine op ???

ds549

Well, I don't really care one iota if it's good enough for you. It's good enough for me. I'm satisfied that thicker oil (to a point) is an advantage when running an engine hard in hot weather. If you want to take the party line that the manufacturer's recommendation is always in your best interest, that's fine with me. Kinda like "Hi, I'm from the IRS, and I'm here to help you" Or "don't confuse me with facts, my mind's already made up"

If someone can show me with repeatable anecdotal evidence that thinner oil is better I'll look at that evidence. So far I have not had ANYONE give me credible information that would point to thinner oil solving or preventing a problem (I mean thinner "hot" viscosity. I can see lower "cold" viscosity being an advantage in cold weather. That's well proven.

** Posted from
**