Hit & Run 1991 Ford Capri

My beloved 1991 Ford Capri was sideswiped whilst parked outside my place of work last night. The coward who did the damage did so with enuf force to rip the bumper bar totally off the body and crumpled the wheel arch so much that the metal ripped the tyre. Mechanic has said it will cost $2000 to fix (its due for pink slip Aug 8th)or he will buy it as is for $500. I bought the car 2 years ago frm a dealership for $4500 and apart frm this disaster it runs like a dream. Any advice on what I shud do?

Reply to
Revhead

Either fix it or get a new car.

Considering it looks like it would cost you about $4000 ($4500 - $500 you get from the mechanic) to replace the vehicle, and $2000 to fix the vehicle, you would be about $2000 ahead if you get the vehicle fixed.

In the US, we don't have pink slips. That just means you passed a safety inspection. Your mechanic should be able to ensure that it will pass the inspection so you can get your pink slip before you start the work.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

You paid a king's ransom for this piece two years ago. What it cost then is of no moment now. It's not worth putting $2k into what would then be worth $1,500 tops. Right now it's worth......$500. Take the money and run. If you like the way it runs and the damage is mostly superficial, take care of the mechanicals and drive it as is if you desire.

Reply to
Al Bundy

The Australian dollar is worth about $0.75 US. (If you look at the OP's name in the email address, it is aussiebird.) So it would be worth about $2000, tops.

Of course, he can try other mechanics to see if he can get the necessary work (maybe leaving some body damage, but getting the tyre and bumper replaced, he can get away with say $1000, using used parts.

He loves the car (or at least someone does) and it runs well. Plus, he has a habit of paying way too much for cars. So getting this car fixed might be the best option.

I suspect that this person ran off without leaving contact information (hence coward), but if you find who did it, you should go after the preson.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff