honda odometers

Legally accurate. This means that the measurement is accepted as scientific evidence by the standards as prescribed by scientific bodies. This "should" be the only evidence accepted by the courts, but has been ignored and tended to be ignored by the police force, and the courts because of lack of technical knowledge and deceit by corporations all over the world. Dont forget, where their equipment is being used, they usually (not always) get a cut. They also "test" their own equipment in cases and it may be that due to lessening income due to drivers complying after being stung by huge fines they "fix" them to read higher than the actual speed. They wouldnt do that? I know of a lot of fraud involving corporations. You only have to read the Newspapers. See this >> From Federal MP Dennis Jensens maiden speech in Western Australia.

On the subject of raising revenue, state governments have become so greedy that they blithely ignore simple fairness in enforcing speed limits that are quite often not set on a scientific basis but established from simple guesswork or, worse, with a view to maximising revenue from speed enforcement. Speedometer accuracy is legislated to be within 10 per cent by Australian design regulation 18, yet in many cases this is ignored in the threshold that is used to enforce speed limits. Picture hiring a car at an airport, obeying the speed limit according to the ADR-compliant speedometer but then getting a speeding ticket due to overzealous enforcement. As if this were not bad enough, speed-measuring devices in many states have scientifically unsupportable tolerances applied, blatantly ignoring Australian standards.

In many cases, they are supported by suppliers, such as Multanova, who are either totally technically inept or simply not beyond using lies to support the illegitimate tolerances to ingratiate themselves with the authorities to ensure repeat business. This highlights the need to generate legally enforceable national standards. We do not need police standing adversely affected and undermined by opportunistic traffic enforcement policies. Ensuring fair enforcement thresholds that allow for speedometer errors can be achieved by an amendment to the National Measurement Act. Scientifically justifiable speed-reading device tolerances could be enforced by ensuring that Australia standards have the full backing of legislation. Currently they do not, and the states are thumbing their noses at these standards. Here is his website. I believe he is an honest politician, which is rare.

Jonno

LOL, unfortunately, while I have a decent track record in court and various quasi-legal areas of bureaucratic matters for myself, and friends and family, I'm afraid that I would not be your best choice in this case.

There are better expert witnesses available. I have not kept current with the technology since my forced retirement from the Army just as the new digital systems were being introduced. I have read of radar-ticket cases being successfully challenged and if your need is great enough (IOW, if the penalties faced justify the cost of defense) you should be able to find someone qualified without too much trouble.

Not that I advocate trying to get out of a justly deserved ticket, mind you ;-). I got busted once, at somewhere around 40 over the posted limit. I came around a bend, climbing up into the mountains on a crisp, clear autumn afternoon with no other vehicles in sight and there he was, above in the median. I just pulled over and waited after I went by him. He pulled up behind me about two minutes later. I handed him my lic. & reg. and he said "Do you know how fast you were going?" I looked him in the eye and said "Yep."

That was the entire conversation. When he came back with the ticket I saw that he had written it for only half of what he could have. I just paid it and figured I got off easy.

Reply to
Wrongway Napolitano

It just that a class action to get them to do it right, to get public servants and the corporations of their conceited Ass. The manufacturers cannot comply with ASA (motoring standards)standards. There are NO speedometer calibrations experts who can test them legally, including the ones the Police use. I have the evidence.

Reply to
Jonno

The Ford factory manual I have for the 94' Escort/Tracer says the "speedometer indication is biased high", so the indicated speed is equal to or higher than the actual speed. They say this is to "protect the consumer against violating speed laws". The speedometer on my 94' Escort read about four percent high with the tires that came on the car. When I replaced the tires with the next larger size, the speedometer/odometer was very accurate. It was off by only a tenth of a mile in forty miles.

Reply to
Fordfan

Oh boy Are you in for a surprise one day. There are specifications for vehicles. The "best" they can do is 10% up or down. But if you wish to legislate for these technical devices to do better you can, but they still cannot comply. I know. I've checked all the specifications. I Australia we have a claytons standard. On page one, the give you all the specs., and on the nxt page they give the specs an exemption. According to local state laws. Who are you going to believe, the people who manufacture the cars, the people who gather taxes by deceiving people or the speed camera manufacturers who also amke money out of these things? Before you know it they will lower the speed tolerances and you will pay through the nose for minor infringements like we have in Victoria Australia. 5% And the punishment doesnt even fit the crime.

Reply to
Jonno

Who is in for a surprise one day?

Reply to
Fordfan

I'd quietly dump that gas eating thing. My 3.3L Concorde is much better than that, over 20MPG.

Reply to
Some O