Horn Ring needed for safety's sake

I needed my horn and it wasn't there. The airbag in wheel installation allows only one lower-right quadrant dedicated for the horn and a very hard press in the active area is needed to actuate the horn. Press anywhere else and you get nothing.

That might work in straight ahead driving, but what about in a turn when the wheel has rotated to some arbitrary angle? The driver is disadvantaged if he has to hunt for the horn-sensitive area.

What is needed is return to the horn ring. Press the circular ring and the horn instantly sounds. The old horn rings were die cast pot metal; titanium would be better - less likely to deform and low weight.

Car makers: you are on notice the present horn design is deficient and a hazard. Lawmakers and tort lawyers take note of this fact as I believe actionable lawsuits are indicated when the horn warning system fails and accidents occur as a result.

Il mittente di questo messaggio|The sender address of this non corrisponde ad un utente |message is not related to a real reale ma all'indirizzo fittizio|person but to a fake address of an di un sistema anonimizzatore |anonymous system Per maggiori informazioni |For more info

George Orwell

Shep

I understand your point, it is harder to get the horn to activate in my newer cars. But if I had every smashed my face against a horn ring I'd probably be glad to get rid of it.

Reply to
Max Power

My '04 Venture van was like this. Two spots, not much larger than your thumb, had to be pushed precisely in order to get the horn to sound. The one time I really had to use it I couldn't find the sweet spot. Fortunately, I believe in hitting the brakes first before the horn and the accident was avoided.

Shep wrote:

Reply to
Hobo

That's some good GM engineering right there....hey, if you are dead you can't sue!

Pathetic.

Reply to
Brent

I have a 68 Torino that has a horn ring. The steering wheel is padded and you would have to have a face the size of a baseball to smash it against the horn ring. In any case, the horn ring is only cheap potmetal and would break. I've broken mine once already. (I have a couple spares in my parts bin)

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

That design was carried over to the replacement Uplander/Relay?Terraza/Montana SV6. GM later revised the springs or washers in the steering wheel pad and the fix seemed to cure the issue in my 05 Relay. I had reason to test it a couple of days ago when a car turning left next to me took the turn too sharply and veered into my lane, forcing me over.

Reply to
carlkeehn

The one in my '66 Polara is designed to pop off the hub if your face ever hit it. And your face, as you said, would have to be about the size of a grapefruit.

But "George Orwell" is just stirring crap, as usual. If he really wants convenience, go back to the "rim blow" horn offered on early 70s Mopars.

:-)

Reply to
Steve

My '03 S-10 has its horn switch as part of the center of the steering wheel. Press anywhere on that (basically what is probably the entire airbag assembly as well) and you get a horn.

On the other hand, my '84 Plymouth Reliant has two horn buttons in the two spokes that connect the hub of the steering wheel to the outer area. I think that would be harder to use in the case of a sudden need to do so.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

They should bring back those nice rim blow switches instead.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

had to be pushed precisely in order to get the horn

Fortunately, I believe in hitting the brakes first

I often don't have time to find the horn positions on then wheel, so I just rev up the engine to gain attention. It works especially for those dumb street dogs who refuse to get out of the way.

Reply to
Shawn

Nope that ugly horn ring isn't what I want, just the horn to be in the center of the steering wheel. I don't hit the horn first, it's the brakes and steering first. My wife's 2001 does have the horn in the center of the steering ring, but unfortunately hadn't figured that out for my '95 LH, which has two small horn push points on the horn spokes. Finding them quickly when turning is so difficult it makes sounding the horn quickly when turning next to impossible.

Reply to
Some O

.....and how many of you are old enough to remember the GM "squeeze the rim" horn -- I think it came out in 1964 and I remember them well.

Buick developed it and the idea was you could squeeze any part of the rim - in any position - to sound the horn. what a concept - you didn't have to take your hands off the wheel to blow the horn.

the higher-ups at GM decided that such an upscale new feature should be introduced on the Cadillac first. The only problem they didn't discover in time was, the average Cadillac owner then was too arthritic to squeeze hard enough to activate the horn !! It didn't last long.

That may be the same year that Caddie introduced the heated seat......that had an unfortunate tendency to overheat and set the upholstery on fire!

Both true = I swear

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

I was never a fan of heated seating simply because of the fire danger. But there are mornings with a temperature reading of minus 20 & my @ss has a hard time with the cold seat.

Reply to
Shawn

the horn is not a safety instrument so you dont hit it first, its really more of a hey you suck at driving instrument.

Reply to
Max Power

Reply to
philthy