Hot radio on Aerostar

I just bought a 1997 Ford Aerostar and while the engine runs quite smoothly, I notice parts of the dash become extremely warm. The radio (a plain jane Ford product, all buttons, no tape or CD) is so warm, it's a bit harrowing to touch the buttons. Is this normal?

Is there an Aerostar user group?

Reply to
edfan

This is a Ford group. Aerostar questions are appropriate for this group.

The radio should not become that hot. Does it become hot during the summer? If not, I would think the problem is that heat is escaping from the heater somehow. What happens if you leave the radio off? Or alternatively, leave the ignition and radio on while the engine is off?

If it gets hot in the summer, I imagine this could still be hot water going through the dash or an electrical problem.

Radios should not get any hotter than a regular household transistor radio would get (in other words, hardly warm at all).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Are your lights really bright?

I had a similar occurance once, and it was due to a faulty alternator regulator which tried to put 17 volts into the battery.

If that is your case, you may have done some electrical system damage along with a really cooked battery.

GT

radio

Reply to
GT

And you base this on what? Car radios have voltage regulators and output chips that generate heat. many run warm. Some i have seen i think run TOO warm. And its normal. If all four speakers are working with no distortion and the tape/cd is ok, don't worry about it.

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ