how can i tell if i have a 351?

hi, is there a simple way of telling if i have a 351 or a 302 engine ?, without taking the motor apart ?

thanks, mark k

Reply to
mark krawczuk

If it is the original engine, get your VIN (you can see it on a tag inside the windshield, it should also be on your insurance policy paperwork) and go here:

It will tell you some details, including engine, of your car.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

What year car / engine?

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

hi , its a 1976. ltd

thanks.

mark

Reply to
mark krawczuk

The end of the intake manifold (the part that seals against the block - not against the head) on the 351 is about 6 inches wide... on the 302 it is about 4 inches wide.... This dimension is as measured agains the block - not at the upper surface.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Or, look at the distance from the driver's side cylinder head to the water pump. Look at a known 302 and then look at yours. If your head is farther away than a 302, it's a 351 or 400.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

1976 302 Firing Order:

1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

1976 351W/351C/400 Firing Order:

1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

1976 302 Firing Order:

1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

1976 351W/351C/400 Firing Order:

1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

...and the 351W(indsor) so resembles 302 that it's next to impossible to distinguish--whereas the 351C(leveland) or 351M(odified) both have identical to each other, but much bigger valve covers as compared to the interchangeable 302/351W covers. HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Which is why I asked the year & gave the firing order. I can see the difference between a 302 & a 351W w/o measuring or checking the firing order just by casual glance, as many here can.

The Clevelands & Modifieds are so radically different(aside from the blue paint) from the Windsors, it's like the difference between a SBC & a 409. Nobody should take one for the other.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Hey, Rob, I am in total agreement, and you gave good advice. Sorry, I mistakenly placed my resp. to you rather than to OP. Not knowing his mechanical expertise, tho't I'd throw that in for him. BTW, I sincerely applaud your ability to distinguish between 302's and

351 W's, something I never learned. I did enjoy selling the W's over the years as they seemed to just run & run w/o comebacks. Another thing, please. Am I remembering right that a mechanic once installed a 302 cam he had in stock in a 351W of mine, and just repositioned the dist wires so it had the 302 firing order? Maybe an early '70's model, a nice 4-dr. I accepted on trade with a lumpety racing cam. Thx in advance for the info. s
Reply to
sdlomi2

Yup, the 302 is just obviously more cramped for space when you've seen enough of them.

Yes, the cams are interchangeable, with the change at the distributor.

Ford turned this all upside-down in 1982 when they turned to their own parts bins to source a 1973 351W marine profile cam for the first 5.0 HO.

The same or similar camshaft was used for years in the MerCruiser, OMC, & Volvo Penta outdrive(I/O) 302's & 351's - 188hp(302 2bbl) through

255hp(351 4bbl) with several combinations / hp's in between. Several forward-rotation(left-hand prop) inboard builders used them too - Crusader, Indmar, Pleasurecraft(mostly reverse rotation, though), Thermo Electron, Palmer, there were 40 or 50 back then.

The 351 order takes some load off of the front of the crank & #1 main(the 1-5 combination) and instead puts it closer to the flywheel & #5 main with the 4-8 combo.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

The bottom front surface of the intake manifold is almost flush with the distributor hole in the block on 221-260-289-302 and 5.0W engines. The 351W has about 1 inch more material above the distributor hole at the same place, simple.

Reply to
Frank from Deeetroit

Unless it's a 351 Windsor ---------

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

What's the VIN? You can get it from your insurance card.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Can't I find it on the car?????

Reply to
Jim Warman

It should be on the dash board visible from outside through the windshield. And it may be on the inside of the door, near where the information about proper tire inflation is.

jeff

Reply to
Jeff