how can i tell if i have a 351?

hi, is there a simple way of telling if i have a 351 or a 302 engine ?, without taking the motor apart ?
thanks, mark k

If it is the original engine, get your VIN (you can see it on a tag inside the windshield, it should also be on your insurance policy paperwork) and go here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/default.asp
It will tell you some details, including engine, of your car.
Jeff
mark krawczuk wrote:

What year car / engine?
Rob
hi , its a 1976. ltd
thanks.
mark

mark krawczuk wrote:

1976 302 Firing Order:
1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
1976 351W/351C/400 Firing Order:
1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
Rob

distinguish--whereas the 351C(leveland) or 351M(odified) both have identical to each other, but much bigger valve covers as compared to the interchangeable 302/351W covers. HTH, s
sdlomi2 wrote:

Which is why I asked the year & gave the firing order. I can see the difference between a 302 & a 351W w/o measuring or checking the firing order just by casual glance, as many here can.
The Clevelands & Modifieds are so radically different(aside from the blue paint) from the Windsors, it's like the difference between a SBC & a 409. Nobody should take one for the other.
Rob

mistakenly placed my resp. to you rather than to OP. Not knowing his mechanical expertise, tho't I'd throw that in for him. BTW, I sincerely applaud your ability to distinguish between 302's and 351 W's, something I never learned. I did enjoy selling the W's over the years as they seemed to just run & run w/o comebacks. Another thing, please. Am I remembering right that a mechanic once installed a 302 cam he had in stock in a 351W of mine, and just repositioned the dist wires so it had the 302 firing order? Maybe an early '70's model, a nice 4-dr. I accepted on trade with a lumpety racing cam. Thx in advance for the info. s
the easy way to tell the difference between a 302 and a 351W is that the 302 has the water pump almost touching the head on the driver side. the 351W has about 1 inch in the same spot.

Tom wrote:

Yup, the 302 is just obviously more cramped for space when you've seen enough of them.

Yes, the cams are interchangeable, with the change at the distributor.
Ford turned this all upside-down in 1982 when they turned to their own parts bins to source a 1973 351W marine profile cam for the first 5.0 HO.
The same or similar camshaft was used for years in the MerCruiser, OMC, & Volvo Penta outdrive(I/O) 302's & 351's - 188hp(302 2bbl) through 255hp(351 4bbl) with several combinations / hp's in between. Several forward-rotation(left-hand prop) inboard builders used them too - Crusader, Indmar, Pleasurecraft(mostly reverse rotation, though), Thermo Electron, Palmer, there were 40 or 50 back then.
The 351 order takes some load off of the front of the crank & #1 main(the 1-5 combination) and instead puts it closer to the flywheel & #5 main with the 4-8 combo.
Rob
What's the VIN? You can get it from your insurance card.
Jeff
Can't I find it on the car?????

The end of the intake manifold (the part that seals against the block - not against the head) on the 351 is about 6 inches wide... on the 302 it is about 4 inches wide.... This dimension is as measured agains the block - not at the upper surface.

Or, look at the distance from the driver's side cylinder head to the water pump. Look at a known 302 and then look at yours. If your head is farther away than a 302, it's a 351 or 400.
Al

mark krawczuk wrote:

1976 302 Firing Order:
1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
1976 351W/351C/400 Firing Order:
1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
Rob

The bottom front surface of the intake manifold is almost flush with the distributor hole in the block on 221-260-289-302 and 5.0W engines. The 351W has about 1 inch more material above the distributor hole at the same place, simple.