How can you tell if a Windstar Odometer has been...."adjusted"

Looking at another 2000 Windstar, It looks like it's in fair condition and it's only got 20K on it (apparently). How do I know if the mileage is accurate? (there's no paperwork with the van).

It would be a great deal if the mileage is accurate.

Thoughts, suggestions? Is mileage on the new van recorded anywhere else that I could check?

Reply to
steve fun

If this vehicle comes from a place where periodic inspections (safety or emissions) are required, Carfax (or a similar service) may have records with mileage at the time of the inspection. Same if it has changed hands before. In any case, $20 invested in one of those reports (less than half a tank of gas these days) is money very well spent.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Another thing you might be able to do is have a dealership run the VIN looking for service records, or recalls. When a vehicle goes into the dealership for work, the vin is recorded, along with the mileage. This may also provide you with important service information and tell you if the vehicle has been a problem child or not.

A Carfax is a great way to go. It will tell you if the vehicle is a lemon, if it's a total loss buy back and much more. If you're car shopping, buying a 30 day Carfax membership is only going to do you good.

Kate

| > Thoughts, suggestions? Is mileage on the new van recorded anywhere | > else that I could check? | |

Reply to
SVTKate

Carfax MIGHT tell you these things.. there is a lot on information that carfax does not have.

Reply to
nospam

look at brake pedal is it worn??

hurc ast

Reply to
svend_ha_n_sen17

The pedal looks fine. Went to the dealer & they've got no records on the van beyond the first service 3 months in. By buddy says there should be a computer that will have the mileage recorded somewhere else like an ABS computer or something. Anyone know if this? I'll only have one chance to check it over in a garage and it looks so good I don't want to lose it. But then there's that niggling "if it sounds too good to be true.........." But then again it's from family so.....

Reply to
steve fun

prolly does however your friend is feeding ya a lode of bullshit

u cant do it if ford can they haven told us tecks or warrenty clearks

hurc ast

Reply to
omarsimms25793

Reply to
tom

please tom tell us how to read milage

we all want to know

what software u use that a ford dealership dosent?

lmfao hurc ast

Reply to
omarsimms25793

Pieces of the puzzle...

Reply to
aarcuda69062

wrote

Replace the rubber brake pedal pad with a new one. There, now the van has zero miles.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

lmfao sorry ase is not accepted ANTWHERE

lmfao bwhahaha u are unskilled

hurc ast

Reply to
omarsimms25793

lmfao sorry ase is not accepted ANTWHERE

Reply to
tom

um no they wouldent ase is not recognized by any govt. however a canadian red seal u can work worldwide

hurc ast

Reply to
omarsimms25793

The"Red Seal" Web site at:

States it is for any province or territory in Canada, not any place in the world. Apparently it has no more recognition "World Wide" than an A.S.E. certification.

"The program encourages standardization of provincial and territorial apprenticeship training and certification programs. The "Red Seal" allows qualified tradespersons to practice the trade in any province or territory in Canada where the trade is designated without having to write further examinations. To date, there are forty-five trades included in the Red Seal Program on a national basis."

Note it says "Canada" and "National Basis" not world wide.

Reply to
I.Care

If that's the case I wonder how our resident idiot got one. It sure isn't because he is "qualified"

Reply to
Bob

lmfao no eam needed just show your seal

lmfao U GO GIRL

hurc ast

Reply to
omarsimms25793

At least you're smart enough to know who I meant by "our resident idiot", or did someone have to explain that to you? Bob

Reply to
Bob

Why would it be such a great deal due to the odometer mileage (especially if it is only in fair condition)? 3000-4000 miles per year is more likely to mean exclusively city use, or lots of sitting around, then being cold started for a short trip (so it never warms up). And if the previous owner did maintenance at all, s/he may have ignored the "... or every {six months | year}" for the service intervals.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee