How can you tell if a Windstar Odometer has been...."adjusted"

Looking at another 2000 Windstar, It looks like it's in fair condition and it's only got 20K on it (apparently). How do I know if the mileage is accurate? (there's no paperwork with the van).
It would be a great deal if the mileage is accurate.
Thoughts, suggestions? Is mileage on the new van recorded anywhere else that I could check?
If this vehicle comes from a place where periodic inspections (safety or emissions) are required, Carfax (or a similar service) may have records with mileage at the time of the inspection. Same if it has changed hands before. In any case, $20 invested in one of those reports (less than half a tank of gas these days) is money very well spent.

Another thing you might be able to do is have a dealership run the VIN looking for service records, or recalls. When a vehicle goes into the dealership for work, the vin is recorded, along with the mileage. This may also provide you with important service information and tell you if the vehicle has been a problem child or not.
A Carfax is a great way to go. It will tell you if the vehicle is a lemon, if it's a total loss buy back and much more. If you're car shopping, buying a 30 day Carfax membership is only going to do you good.
Kate
| If this vehicle comes from a place where periodic inspections (safety or | emissions) are required, Carfax (or a similar service) may have records with | mileage at the time of the inspection. Same if it has changed hands before. | In any case, $20 invested in one of those reports (less than half a tank of | gas these days) is money very well spent. | > | > Thoughts, suggestions? Is mileage on the new van recorded anywhere | > else that I could check? | |
On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:20:11 GMT, in alt.autos.ford "SVTKate"

Carfax MIGHT tell you these things.. there is a lot on information that carfax does not have.

look at brake pedal is it worn??
hurc ast
On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:13:14 GMT, svend_ha_n snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

The pedal looks fine. Went to the dealer & they've got no records on the van beyond the first service 3 months in. By buddy says there should be a computer that will have the mileage recorded somewhere else like an ABS computer or something. Anyone know if this? I'll only have one chance to check it over in a garage and it looks so good I don't want to lose it. But then there's that niggling "if it sounds too good to be true.........." But then again it's from family so.....

prolly does however your friend is feeding ya a lode of bullshit
u cant do it if ford can they haven told us tecks or warrenty clearks
hurc ast
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Pieces of the puzzle...
yup. he is not a tech, or a warranty clerk, or an A.S.E. certified mechanic either. he is a RED SEAL.

lmfao sorry ase is not accepted ANTWHERE
lmfao bwhahaha u are unskilled
hurc ast
lmfao sorry ase is not accepted ANTWHERE
while it may be true that ase is not accepted antwhere, if you are an A.S.E.certified mechanic, you will have garages fighting over you everywhere

um no they wouldent ase is not recognized by any govt. however a canadian red seal u can work worldwide
hurc ast

@hotmail.com says...

http://www.red-seal.ca/Site/about/redseal_e.htm
States it is for any province or territory in Canada, not any place in the world. Apparently it has no more recognition "World Wide" than an A.S.E. certification.
"The program encourages standardization of provincial and territorial apprenticeship training and certification programs. The "Red Seal" allows qualified tradespersons to practice the trade in any province or territory in Canada where the trade is designated without having to write further examinations. To date, there are forty-five trades included in the Red Seal Program on a national basis."
Note it says "Canada" and "National Basis" not world wide.
--
I.Care
Address fake

If that's the case I wonder how our resident idiot got one. It sure isn't because he is "qualified"

lmfao no eam needed just show your seal
lmfao U GO GIRL
hurc ast

At least you're smart enough to know who I meant by "our resident idiot", or did someone have to explain that to you? Bob
please disregard anything this asshole who signs out as hurc ast says. in the past 4 months, he has changed his email name 45 times, but we all know his advice is no good, and he is only trying to tick people off.

please tom tell us how to read milage
we all want to know
what software u use that a ford dealership dosent?
lmfao hurc ast

Replace the rubber brake pedal pad with a new one. There, now the van has zero miles.

Why would it be such a great deal due to the odometer mileage (especially if it is only in fair condition)? 3000-4000 miles per year is more likely to mean exclusively city use, or lots of sitting around, then being cold started for a short trip (so it never warms up). And if the previous owner did maintenance at all, s/he may have ignored the "... or every {six months | year}" for the service intervals.
Timothy J. Lee