How do I gear down this 6-speed in the Mountains

I got this new Ford Five Hundred with the 6-speed. The service department did not seem to know what to say. They tried to contact the service manager but he was gone for the day.

I would appreciate any advice on gearing down this 6-speed automatic. Its only got Low, Drive, Reverse and Park on the selector. I heard something about using low gear above 30 mph. I tried that coming down a overpass and the revs quickly went to over 4000 rpm.

I wonder what would happen at 40 and 45 like I did in other automatics that had a Overdrive button to shut off for 3rd gear and a 2nd on the selector.

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Jimmy

Read you manual. Moving the shift leaver to low will reduce the gear ratio to third. Naturally the RPMS will increase.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Something to consider....

Brake pads are cheap. A transmission is not.

Your car's transmission should downshift on its own due to its programming. Chevrolet Allisons will do this, as kind of a poor man's "Jake Brake", but those are for trucks carrying heavy loads.

Is there some reason you feel the need to downshift? Is it icy/slippery conditions?

Just a query.

Reply to
Marc

Replacing rotors before driving the rest of the way home from a trip to the mountains is NOT especially CHEAP!

However This is correct... long downhills should be the only need.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Rotors are not cheap. I have a '93 Ranger with 126K miles, on the original rotors and second set of front pads.

If they make rotors so cheap that they wear THAT fast, then times have definitely changed.

Reply to
Marc

Not wear, warp. Bear in mind the thread subject.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic