How do I make my Trunk lid self opening?

I see on some other cars the trunk lid opens all the way by itself when you unlock it. I was wondering how to do that on my 08 Fusion?
Fred

On many cars, it's not designed to open all the way on it's own. Both a Mystique and my current Sable's service manuals state they are only supposed to open a foot or so.
Fred wrote:

Well thanks for all the advise. The lid does open of course a little bit when you unlock it, which probably is normal. Some day when the lifts wear out and I replace them it probably will open more or less, depending on who makes the lifters in China!

The lid on my '99 Taurus won't stay up and there are NO lift struts ot cylinders. Just some kind of torsion bar arrangement in the trunk and no amout of resetting, adjusting will hold the lid up. I've resorted to a wooden dowel of the correct length to hold it open for extended periods.
Eric
On 12/1/10 12:13 AM, Eric Toline wrote:

Thanks for the story.
I would suggest adding some lift struts. Or replacing the torsion bar arrangement. You might also take it to a body shop. They may know how to fix it.
Jeff

Apparently adjusting the trunk lid torsion bars ofr later model Tari is something that has generated some interest on the web. See:
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/88793-trunk-adjustment-bars-still.html
Ed

The torsion bars were marginal at best when new - if there is a spoiler they didn't stay up when they were 6 months old. Don't know if it would be possible to put struts on - and replacements would be the same as original unless you can get custom ones made. (pretty simple parts - but I don't know anyone who makes them commercially)

At this point, are we even sure anything is broken?
On 12/5/10 7:35 AM, Mudflap wrote:

A body shop would know, so they could say, "That's how it's supposed to work." Good point.

lift it all the way open it should stay open. If it comes down without you pulling it down, something is wrong.
On 12/5/10 10:03 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That's the way it works on my Ford Focus. That makes sense. If you accidentally hit the button when you're driving down the road, do you really want things to fly out of your trunk?
Jeff

I think the crown vics are on springs aren't they?
I Would prefer a hood that stays up like on half tons and crown victorias without a silly prop rod.