How do I program my PAL key?

I've read the manual for my Focus and it says hold the key in the 4 (on) position for 1 - 10 seconds but the 4 position on my car is the 'start' postion. I doubt that I'm to crank the engine for that long. Do
the mean the no 3 (on) position?
in my car 1 = off, 2= accesory (?) 3=on and 4= start
sorry, I know it sounds lame but I don't want to end up being locked out and have to get the car towed.
TIA jt
Your question is not lame and is a very valid question. I believe that since the key is not programmed just yet, the engine will not start in the 4 position. Once it is programmed, it would then start the car in the 4 position.
Dan

1 isn't but I have 2 that are, you start with the 1st key that is programmed and working and turn that 1 to the 4 postion for 1 -10 seconds, then insert the second already programmed and working key and turn that to the 4 position for 1 - 10 seconds, then insert the unprogrammed key and turn that to the 4 position for 1 - 10 seconds and that is what programs it.
Check this site for a newer revision owner's manual for your model year. I looked at the newest versions of the 2000, 2001, 2003, and 2004 Focus and they're using positions 1, 2, and 3, but not 4.
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/ownerlit/default_retail.asp?menuIndex "
Good luck! SC Tom