How do I program my PAL key?

I've read the manual for my Focus and it says hold the key in the 4 (on) position for 1 - 10 seconds but the 4 position on my car is the 'start' postion. I doubt that I'm to crank the engine for that long. Do the mean the no 3 (on) position?

in my car 1 = off, 2= accesory (?) 3=on and 4= start

sorry, I know it sounds lame but I don't want to end up being locked out and have to get the car towed.

TIA jt

Reply to
jt

Your question is not lame and is a very valid question. I believe that since the key is not programmed just yet, the engine will not start in the 4 position. Once it is programmed, it would then start the car in the 4 position.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Edwards
1 isn't but I have 2 that are, you start with the 1st key that is programmed and working and turn that 1 to the 4 postion for 1 -10 seconds, then insert the second already programmed and working key and turn that to the 4 position for 1 - 10 seconds, then insert the unprogrammed key and turn that to the 4 position for 1 - 10 seconds and that is what programs it.
Reply to
jt

Check this site for a newer revision owner's manual for your model year. I looked at the newest versions of the 2000, 2001, 2003, and 2004 Focus and they're using positions 1, 2, and 3, but not 4.

Good luck! SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom