How do I remove headrest?

My neighbor has a 1995 Ford Taurus. He asked me to help him put on a pair of slip on seat covers. The headrest must be removed before the seat cover will fit over the seat. We spent over 20 minutes trying to remove the headrest but failed. The owner of the Taurus does NOT have a service manual. Please tell me how to remove the headrest. Thanks in advance, Jason

Reply to
Jason

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Jason) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pm4-broad-56.snlo.dialup.fix.net:

It takes a slim-jim, like to open doors.

been a long time, but I think down the back.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I removed a set a few months ago. You have to raise the rests as far as possible and reach down with a tool along the side of the post with a tool and push the release back. I probably used a screwdriver. In the right light and with luck you can sometimes peek down there sort of see what's going on. You don't need to force it much. Once the lever is pushed back they pull right out.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Try holding down the adjustment button. If not that, then raise the head restraint to the highest position and insert a small bit or Allen wrench into the hole in the button.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

"Mike Hunter" wrote in news:QL2dnbo_Cta1W8 snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

?????

I just found out i'm wrong.. went out to look at my 95 GL and it has two shafts, round and thin. Slim Jim is obviously no good but cant find adj button, either.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic