How do I test an Alternator ? 1996 Ford Taurus

My battery light is on . How do I test the alternator to make sure it is charging ? I do have a volt/OHM meter but where /how do I test it ? Thanks,
Raz
you should be putting out around 14volts dc at the battery with engine running,
The Webbers Hilltop Cycle ATV wrote:

The charging voltage should be well in excess of 12 volts - approaching 14+ at the battery.
With the engine running, rap a few times on the alternator housing & see if the light goes out. This may work once or twice to seat the brushes on the slip rings.
Rob
Rob, The rapping helpped but I know it not a permanent fix. Guess I need to buy a new high preiced alternator. Thanks for the info. , Raz

The Webbers Hilltop Cycle ATV wrote:

It need not be high-priced... but they are more than an old Delco.
$125 at AutoZone or Advance Auto w/ limited lifetime warranty.
Rob
"The Webbers Hilltop Cycle ATV" wrote

So try some new brushes. Should be less than $10. My 88 Tbird's brushes cost me $4.83, and took a whopping 10 minutes to change them.

Raz
"The Webbers Hilltop Cycle ATV" wrote

Most parts places will have them. Might help, might not. Cheap fix, if it does.
Alternator Brush Set ECH F425 $9.29 Engine:3.0 L 183 CID V6 OHV (Pushrod Engine); Single Over Head Camshaft Engine w/ 110 Amp Alternator
http://napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageIdG0&LineCode H&PartNumber25&Description=Alternator+Brush+Set
Alternator Brush & Holder ECH F424 $13.99 Engine:3.0 L 183 CID V6 OHV (Pushrod Engine); Single Over Head Camshaft Engine w/ 110 Amp Alternator
http://napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageIdG0&LineCode H&PartNumber24&Description=Alternator+Brush+%26+Holder

Raz

battery , pretty sure you should be getting around 15v at the battery when it's running , don't go sticking the meter on the alternator !