How do I test an Alternator ? 1996 Ford Taurus

My battery light is on . How do I test the alternator to make sure it is charging ? I do have a volt/OHM meter but where /how do I test it ? Thanks, Raz

Reply to
The Webbers Hilltop Cycle ATV

you should be putting out around 14volts dc at the battery with engine running,

ds549

The charging voltage should be well in excess of 12 volts - approaching

14+ at the battery.

With the engine running, rap a few times on the alternator housing & see if the light goes out. This may work once or twice to seat the brushes on the slip rings.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Can you limp it down to a major parts place? They can test it and the battery , pretty sure you should be getting around 15v at the battery when it's running , don't go sticking the meter on the alternator !

Reply to
PhilO

Reply to
The Webbers Hilltop Cycle ATV

It need not be high-priced... but they are more than an old Delco.

$125 at AutoZone or Advance Auto w/ limited lifetime warranty.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

"The Webbers Hilltop Cycle ATV" wrote

So try some new brushes. Should be less than $10. My 88 Tbird's brushes cost me $4.83, and took a whopping

10 minutes to change them.
Reply to
MasterBlaster

"MasterBlaster" 10 minutes to change them.

Raz

Reply to
The Webbers Hilltop Cycle ATV

"The Webbers Hilltop Cycle ATV" wrote

Most parts places will have them. Might help, might not. Cheap fix, if it does.

Alternator Brush Set ECH F425 $9.29 Engine:3.0 L 183 CID V6 OHV (Pushrod Engine); Single Over Head Camshaft Engine w/ 110 Amp Alternator

Alternator Brush & Holder ECH F424 $13.99 Engine:3.0 L 183 CID V6 OHV (Pushrod Engine); Single Over Head Camshaft Engine w/ 110 Amp Alternator

MasterBlaster

"MasterBlaster" 10 minutes to change them.

Thanks for the knowledge, Raz