how do you bleed the air out of a 3.8

I changed my rad andtried bleeding the air out by leaving the rad cap off while idle..well now I have little heat and the temp is high but goes down to half and climbs again. Does anyone have a way to get all the air out so I can check for a headgasket problem .

Reply to
Chevrolet

That's the problem...... combustion gasses are leaking into the cooling system faster than you can bleed them out.

Reply to
Bob

Are we making an assumption there?

If we KNOW it's a blown HG, there would be no need.... but the key is to have the coolant tested for hydrocarbons

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

you didn't say what year or car but look for a yellow "cap" with a bolt in the middle of it toward the front of the engine. It seams like I've seen this "bleeder" on a 3.8 before.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

Would be so, on a tbird. But he's got a taurus...One of my first fluffs was sayin to do that on a taurus, because I assumed...

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

did I miss something? How do you know its a Taurus?

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

Maybe a little bit, but considering the work already done, the symptoms and the engine we're dealing with...... I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb.....

Not much doubt in my mind what's going on here but finding hydrocarbons in the coolant would certainly seal the deal.

Reply to
Bob