how do you bleed the air out of a 3.8

I changed my rad andtried bleeding the air out by leaving the rad cap off while idle..well now I have little heat and the temp is high but goes down
to half and climbs again. Does anyone have a way to get all the air out so I can check for a headgasket problem .

That's the problem...... combustion gasses are leaking into the cooling system faster than you can bleed them out.

Are we making an assumption there?
If we KNOW it's a blown HG, there would be no need.... but the key is to have the coolant tested for hydrocarbons
you pay..DEAL with it!

Maybe a little bit, but considering the work already done, the symptoms and the engine we're dealing with...... I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb.....

Not much doubt in my mind what's going on here but finding hydrocarbons in the coolant would certainly seal the deal.
Chevrolet wrote:

you didn't say what year or car but look for a yellow "cap" with a bolt in the middle of it toward the front of the engine. It seams like I've seen this "bleeder" on a 3.8 before.

Would be so, on a tbird. But he's got a taurus...One of my first fluffs was sayin to do that on a taurus, because I assumed...
you pay..DEAL with it!
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

did I miss something? How do you know its a Taurus?