How do you separate those electrical connectors?

Temp in the single digits. 11 year old Taurus.
How do you lift the locking bars on electrical connectors without snapping them off?
I may have a corroded terminal on my alternator (idiot light can be
made to go on/off by wiggling cable to alternator), but know from EGR circuit repairs that these locking tabs are now brittle and break off if only slightly over-flexed.
The cold will only make them even more britttle.
Dave G.

Use a dental pick, you should be able to get one at a good hardware store.
Dave G wrote:

I think you can buy an aftermarket or factory harness repair kit to replace that connector as i recall.
Also, if its a spade type terminal, sometimes you can clean it and carefully bend the edge of the contacts inward in the connector to put more pressure on the connections.
Bob