How do you wire in Aftermarket Ammeter

I want to wire in an aftermarket ammeter and am not sure exactly where I snip the line and wire the ammeter in series. Can I wire it in series with the 12Volt line that goes
to the alternator?
What is the standard procedure with vehicles that already have factory installed ammeters, what circuit are they in series with?
Denny B

It has to be between the battery and the rest of the vehicle, except for the starter. The starter current will destroy the meter. Be very careful when you run the wires thought the firewall, if they short to ground you will burn up a lot of wiring.
I would use a volt meter instead. Much easier to install and as useful.
Al
agreed, wire it up through the positive terminals in series ommiting the large wire that feeds the starter motor as AL says it will eat your meter depending on what range it has. basically all current flow should pass through the guage. standard fitted ammeters are probably not wired in so simply, however the principle is the same. they measure all current flow to and from the battery. steve.

the
I have a volt meter installed. I agree it does work well.
Thanks kindly
Denny B

with?
for the

when
will
useful.
Besides being a pain in the ass to install, most aftermarket (actually all that I have ever seen in the stores) are only 40A or so, which doesn't work for the ~80A alternators that most cars have. A voltmeter is way easier to install, less risky too.