How important is it to first warm up the car? winter

Way back when... people used to literally drain the oil and take the battery out every night. They'd store it inside and keep both warm.

That was true of cars, trucks, tractors, bulldozers, airplanes, and whatever had an engine.

Lots of diesel engines though, like on bulldozers, would just be left running 24 hours a day. They had low speed engines, they get good lubrication when idling, and that was the cheapest way to keep them warm.

-- Floyd L. Davidson Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@barrow.com

Reply to
Floyd Davidson

When we had a really cold spell here in Upstate NY several years ago the local school left the busses running overnight. They left them going for about a week IIRC. 90% were diesel engines at that time, the rest were CNG. Ratio is quite different now, don't know the mix though...

Reply to
Mike Levy

Considering you called him a pussy, why should be be obliged to give you any of what you're asking for? If you want the info, go find it on google yourself. What are you, some kind of primadonna?

Or, keep starting your car in subzero weather without another thought. It's *your* car, and your money. Do whatever the hell you want with it.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

Jinxter writes

In case you're responding to something I wrote rather than to Floyd (it's hard to tell, what with all the quoted text you included)...

Actually, they use bleed air generated by the APU, which in turn is started with the battery. (The APUs on the newer models generate electricity also, but the engines still use pneumatic starters.)

But I didn't mention C-130s in connection with batteries. I mentioned them in connection with somebody's assertion that the ones flown to Antarctica are never shut down, but are flown out again after unloading/reloading because of the cold.

Where I mentioned batteries was in regard to the small recips or turboprops that Floyd was describing before he mentioned

737s.

Actually, it uses a pull cord like a lawnmower. If you've ever noticed bootprints on the left landing gear sponson, that's why.

How can an airplane not have a battery? What provides standby power to things like instrument inverters and lights in the event of an electrical failure?

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller