How is fuel injection service performed?

Page 1 of 2
A friend has a 1999 Ford Contour with 80,000 miles on it and was told she should have the fuel injection serviced. I asked her how the car ran and she said it runs fine, but since she is the second owner, she
doesn't know if the fuel injection has ever been serviced.
I remember paying about $80 to have the fuel injection on my Isuzu Rodeo serviced and I watched a mecahanic basically hook up a bottle to the fuel line and let the engine run for about 20 minutes. Afterwards, he reved the engine a couple of times as some white smoke came out of the exhaust and then became clear again. I did not notice any change in the Isuzu's performance when I drove it off and wondered if the fuel injector cleaners sold at Pep Boys would have done the same at a fraction of the price.
Can anyone explain what a fuel injection service should be like and what it should cost. Is the service different for different manufacturers?
Satchel Paige wrote:

question.. you will get alot better answer there and will also get info on just about anything involving a contour/mystique...... hope this helps.

It depends on how dirty your fuel injector system is, what chemicals they are using and, how well they clean it, if it really is coated with build up or not. Generally in most cases you won't see any difference before and after, sometimes the do it yourself stuff is just as effective, and a whole lot cheaper. I believe that only in the most extremely dirty situations is it a worthwhile expense.
Satchel Paige opined in

Is "fuel injection service" listed as scheduled maintenance?
Lessee.. she took the car to a shop for something else and the guy says " Gee lady you need you muffler bearings lubed"
Where do you live and what is the major gas brand in the area?
I drive high mileage cars and never have used a fuel additive... for grins I took some injectors in after 160K or so to have them cleaned and profiled and there was nothing wrong with them.
However.. any time the subject has come up in the last ten years i've been reading these boards, Techron has been well thought of.. so just do it yourself. http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/nafl/auto/content/fueladd.shtm
Please note I think these warnings of deposits are highly exxagerated in the typical car using a good brand gas.. not necessariily the best known.
For example Speedway gas has never let me down
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

    Although my last car had only 92K when I sold it, I dumped a can of Techron in the tank once a year before I started a highway trip. During the 15 years I owned the car, I never had a problem and the car ran like new when I sold it. Did it help? Who knows, but it was cheap insurance!

all that happened was the tech's pockets got lined.
you can get fuel injector cleaner at the auto parts store real cheap. i put some in once in a while. usually, i wait too long and the car isn't starting too well. one tank full with cleaner and it's ok again.
what would a car repair facility do? i'll bet it would come to hundreds of dollars. ...thehick
frank-in-toronto opined in

If I were you, I'd change gas brands... i bought an Aerostar a month ago and it took a long time "cranking'to start ... after two tanks of Speedway, it's cut about in half
If your BP stations now say 'new Arco" blend... try that. I'd NEVER use BP prior to the change.

hook up a bottle to the fuel line and let the engine run for about 20 minutes. Afterwards, he reved the engine a couple of times as some white smoke came out of the exhaust and then became clear again.
That's it.... If you didn't noticed any difference means you did it on time.
It is called preventive maintenance

If you use it on a regular basis , every , lets say , forth tank of gas. Offcourse it will add up that way

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 01:23:54 GMT, "johanb"

It's called making the boat payments on the mechanic's boat....

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:
"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Yeah, that too
Are you saying a technician is not allowed to have a boat ???

Bill

It's called high priced snake oil. It is not preventing anything.

I'd agree that it won't prevent injectors from getting dirty, but it can work very well to clean partially clogged injectors. Bob

Or.....
prevent them to get more clogged and prevent the engine to start running rough.
Anyways, difficult subject
does/doesn't.
Preventive maintenance will always be a topic open for long discussions.
You all go ahead, good luck
:-))
Johan

money.

believe. Bob

believe by the fine people who are selling your the snake oils. I find it hard to believe you see a lot of them.
Clogged injectors are very rare and usually due to something like bad gas or where the car has sat for some time and varnish has built up. Otherwise injectors are one of those things that haven't been able to live down their reputations in previous lives where they didn't have chimney's and would coat up with carbon and crap. Injector service when there are no symptoms or reasons for such is just plain retarded. Spend the money on required regular maintenance like coolant flush or trans oil flush.

I still agree that it's a waste of money as a preventative maintenance on a good running engine. I don't agree that plugged injectors are a rare thing though. The worst case I've seem was an F150 that ran so poorly the customer towed it to my shop. The owner had already replaced more parts than you would believe. Two cans of BG Injectaflush later the thing ran like a new one. The owner of that truck was just plain stunned.
I'm in Mn and we use 10% ethanol in our fuel, maybe that has something to do with it. But plugged injectors are not rare at all. I know this is a Ford newsgroup, but apparently you guys don't work on any Chevy Vortecs. Bob

With roughly 30 years in the profession, my opinion is it's rare.