How long does a head gasket last?

Threaded View

Hi  I have a 94 Ford Escort 145,00 Km   (85,000 Miles) live in
Vancouver  BC Canada so really mild weather  most of the year and I'm
wondering if anyone knows the average life of a headgasket.

Plus I hear that if the gasket go's I will have to replace the seats
and have the head shaved.

If I replace it now before it go's would I still have to to all the
extra work?

All answers would be appreciated  Thanks

Re: How long does a head gasket last?

Head shaved? Why, does it have a beard? ;-)

Jeff

Re: How long does a head gasket last?

    ...and replace seats?  buckets or bench?  ;-)  Jeff, it's getting late!

Re: How long does a head gasket last?

Depends on whether is was one of the gasket made after the government force
the gasket manufacturers to stop using asbestos without giving them time to
develop a suitable replacement material and whether you have on the engines
in a Toyota, GM, Ford, or Chrysler that used one that was made a material
that did not work well.  Ho long will one last?   I own '41,'64,'71,'72 and
'83 Fords vehicles that all still have the original head gaskets.

As to a 94, the gasket problem had been settled by then.  If you are
concerned, check you coolant level weekly, if you notice a small be
consistent loss of coolant take it to a competent tech for pressure testing.
I the gasket is going bad it can be changed long before any damage will
occurs to the engine.

mike

Re: How long does a head gasket last?

I have been driving Escorts since January 1985 and have never had a
head gasket problem.  I do not believe that it is a problem on these
cars.  For more Escort specific info go here: http://www.feoa.net

Re: How long does a head gasket last?

Depends mainly o maintainance, Change the whole coolant regularly b4
the due dates etc. and it should last a long time, but not forever.

Re: How long does a head gasket last?

Head gasket problems on the Escort were becoming more rare by 1985. The
earlier 1.6 was almost notorious for blowing the gasket. Most owners
didn't recognize the symptoms before it was too late. In many cases this
lead to one or more overheating incidents followed by a warped or
cracked head. The junk yards in my area ran out of good heads that could
be rebuilt. IIRC, 1983 was a particularly bad year for this. When the
1.9 came out in the late 80's, the head gasket issue was pretty much over.
My 94' with the 1.9 had a tendency to let the engine temperature gauge
get up to at least 3/4-scale before the cooling fan came on, especially
when idling. I didn't feel comfortable with that, so I changed the fan
temp' switch. This made the fan come on well below 3/4-scale, which for
all I know, may have prevented a head gasket incident in later years.

Re: How long does a head gasket last?

Depends on a few things.

The major problem is keeping the car cool, keeping the head torqued to
its proper specs and good quality coolant. The extra work on seats is
minimal. It can be done by yourself if youre reasonably handy with tools.
200,000 KMS seems a proper figure to "pull" it. Then do the required
work. I would wait till it shows it has problems, but check the
compression, but it by itself doesnt mean much if its fairly even and it
runs OK.
Shaving the head is just to clean up any warps, but I know many people
who just replace the head gasket, do the valves and if the head is clean
     and straight use a good quality head gasket and thats all folks.

Re: How long does a head gasket last?

On a 94 Escort it is not out of the ordinary for the original head
gasket to still be good when it hits the scrap yard with a few hundred
thousand KMs on it. However, OCCAISIONALLY they will drop a valve
seat. Occaisionally they will take out a head gasket. USUALLY theyblow
after overheating - and USUALLY they drop valve seats after
overheating. Every one I've seen with a blown head gasket had other
problems that contributed to the overheating so I SUSPECT the
headgasket was a reasult, not the primary cause. You DO need to
maintain the coolant pH so the rad doesn't corrode and loose
antifreeze, or lime up.

 As for replacing it now, it MAY extend the life of the valve seats,
and you won't likely need to plane the head.

Often when the valve seats let go you end up with a SCRAP engine.

--

Site Timeline