How many are happy with a Mustang-2004-2005-2006?

Page 1 of 3
Hello All, I have been test driving everything, from small suv's to Toyota's, Jeep's, etc(the new G6 Pontiac is all nice, but the rear end is just to
high!)...about to give up! I have had four Pontiac Sunfire' and had no problems with them, but I don't much care for the new ones. But I do so love the new Ford Mustangs, reminds me of the good ol' days when muscle cars where kewl! Sporty and reasonably priced. Although my family had owned Ford's and I am aware of some of the problems, I am not sure of the Mustang series. Would you recommend purchasing a Ford Mustang, or not? Why or why not? Seems a great price for the horse power and the equipment, either the V6 or the V8GT. I was considering getting a V6. Either way I am in need of a car right now, as my husband now works downtown and I am left 30 plus miles away with no way around and a two year old.., an active two year old ha, he recently fractured an arm and I was so glad the car was here, I need to choose something very soon....any suggestions would be appreciated....
--
Beth

Beth,
The new 2005-2006 Mustangs are absolutely the best Mustangs since 1970, maybe even ever, depending how you assess that.
The New Mustang is outstanding in my opinion, I've rented one, and taken 3 test drives in them, I may even buy one. I am very impressed. The body is very good looking, the suspension and handling are outstanding, the power is impressive, the price is reasonable. Ford hit a homerun with this new Mustang.
On the other hand they are a 2 door car with very small back seat. It would be imperative for you to take your child seat to the dealer and insure it fits into and works properly in that backseat. If your child's seat will work properly and you do indeed want the car go for it, I not sure I would buy one as a family/kid hauling car, but you may well want to.
Good Luck
351CJ wrote:

Hey, 351CJ, nice to meet you :) Well thanks for the input, they certainly do look nice! I have not gone to test drive one and that is because I think I would not consider any other vehicle at all afterwards simply because I love the style. My personal favorite has always been the look of the 641/2, and this model has some impressions from a number of years of Mustangs, it surely made a great combination. Thank you for sharing this, as I figured, the back seats are usually small in the Stangs. :( That is one reason we have bought our first Sunfire. So you haven't heard anything about engine problems with this model or other? So far I haven't heard of anything, didn't see any reports on the net either. Car and Driver thinks it is a super buy, I think Ford did a great job as you said. Humm I think a test drive is in order, my husband says GET IT, but I was thinking about the Liberty because one, room for my son, two, if we have to evaculate out of Houston again I could have more room for needed items...but geez that Stang sure looks pretty ;) Thanks again I appreciate your input :) And thanks :) Beth

Beth, I dunno how you figure. SUVs are neither Sporty, nor Utility. 99% of SUVs can carry no more than a full-sized car. Personally, I think they are useless. They can't carry anything a car can't, they don't handle as well, brake worse, go worse, get worse mileage, higher insurance... what's to love? Like 99.99% of people out there, you don't need an SUV. You need a car. If you don't want one of those, buy a real crewcab truck. If you don't want that, buy a car. And the new Mustangs are nice. Long term reliability is still out, but if they are like any other mustang out there - with a few exceptions - they keep going and going and are cheap to fix. Dunno about the insurance.
Brad

Not to mention the relative utility/economy of the much maligned Mini- Van.
Truly a shame... the image of one who drives same besotten by the over- enthusiasm of the target market, to wit: the suburban twit, 'soccer- mom' (and I'm a soccer-dad, so there!) who has no idea of rules of the road and highway courtesy.
Of course, the same then graduated to the SUV.
But to say the cargo capacity of the Grand Laredo, or Explorer is no better than a car is ridiculous on the face of it, negates credibility of anything else said.
you pay..DEAL with it!
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

** He is right I see, about the gas milage! BTW according to the EPA they fudge that number on top of it! 17 in the city, I get 29 out of my Sunfire! Of course we put in pro parts too. It also helps on the horses. I am a good driver and probably the most curtious in Houston, no one else here that I have seen is :( Speed doesn't scare me and I can handle any curves. I have even driven rigs before. This place though, errrr, they cut me off all the time, jump out, and if you are not fast enough you might as well wait till midnight to cross the street! No joke it is bad and gotten worse. I had bought a Mazda Protege' when I first moved here, it didn't have the power to get me out of the way! Your right, I thought that too. I mean they do have more room, but I don't want to sacrifice and get something I don't want just because of space alone.....hummm. I want a Mustang darn it, but I also think too that it isn't very practical! You guys have all been very helpful to me! I know Mustangs can go with gum and a coat hanger, my girlfriends did once long ago. A lasting car is nice, and I hope this one would last too, with todays cars losing 7 thou off the lot. I don't want to have to buy another one any time soon.
--
Beth

Oh, I get to disagree with the Geezer, and mean it. :)
Okay, here is what I mean. I drive Bronco. I can fit a queen size bed in it, and I have hauled a full-sized washer and dryer in it. Name me ONE SUV that can do that. Answer: none. Seriously, none! That, is an SUV. They don't make these anymore... they are called trucks. Thus, an SUV that can haul no more than groceries, it is no better than a car. If you think you'll put something big in an SUV, you're kidding yourself. Personally, I'd rather have a Crown Vic that an Explorer. If I want a hauler, I'll get a F-Series or a Bronco. Everyting in between is not worth having.
My opinion.
Brad
BradandBrooks wrote:

I saw a brand new Explorer yesterday, was very nice :) Then I saw a Tungsten Gray Mustang :P'ssssss. Mine would have to be red though. I think I may go with the Mustang, it is just to kewl and powerful to pass up.? Car and Driver made this comment on the Mustang that women drive the V6 and men drive the V8.....well for one, my husband can afford to drive a V8 cause he gets to go play after work more than I and I have to do all the work for the family as far as the up keep, groceries, purchase the new couch, taking my son to the doctor, paying the bills etc... but that doesn't mean I don't want a V8...in all seriousness my hubby who is a great Nascar fan loves to drive, he is a good driver, well an okay driver HA. But when it comes to speed and mud ;) That would be me,,,,so I would go for a V8....I can get those bills paid off faster and get on to playing more ;) But I thought how typical is that, Car and Driver still making it out like men are speed and macho and women are whoosies.......not true! I am a Lady and I can change my own oil, tune up, air filterK&N of course hee hee, brake pads, fluids, plugs(Bosch only), timing belt...so there :P :) But I do miss the older cars, they where so much easier! Has anyone here changed the plugs in a new Stang, I mean come on how do I get to them, they are covered and about in the back wall on a 2001 Mustang. My dad was a great mechanic and said women should never be left beside the road not knowing what to do :)
Thanks everyone for your help :) And I did like that Explorer very much!!! I might test drive it this weekend if I can get my feet off the gas in the Stang. Oh and if anyone can help out, I actually had the brakes done on my Sunfire and the pads are new, well ever since they grab like the car is being pulled on the diagonal....can't figure out what the cause is, everything looks okay, back drums, front disc. Beth

Besr driver I ever rode with was a 'gurl'... back in sixties, she had just bought a new Impala Spot coupe, 396. Giving us a ride in it, some yokel pulls out in front of her to evade, she downshifted and threw into a power slide and aimed up the road he pulled out of.. before we even had time to clench our sphincters.
But you know as well as anyone that statement is a generalization and TRUE besides!
And if it WASNT for those secretaries that just wanted the Mustang because it was sporty looking, we wouldnt even HAVE a Mustang in its present form... look what happened to the CamaBird! Remember their last tv commercials? They abandoned the market totally to concentrate on the 'hot-car' buyers.
And I'm onna the guys who would buy the V6, then mod the car for improved handling.

1. After driving a bit, then fairly heavy braking, check relative temperatures of each rotor then each drum. Will show either drag or stuck caliper/shoe/Parking brake.
2. Check suspension for worn parts and bushings
you pay..DEAL with it!

could have also been contaminated
you pay..DEAL with it!
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

HA, well the V6 is nothing to sneeze at either, not for the average person driving to Wal-mart, and the design is the same. I was just at http://store.cal-mustang.com/Category-7-25.html and http://www.ponybuilder.com/home.html .
I read that Ford went cheaper on the suspension to keep it under the 25thou mark. But that is all fixable. LOLOL> How many times I have experienced the above. Love your description of it! That is exactly what happens! Laughing! The only accident I have ever had while (not) driving was when I was waiting in a median sitting still minding my own business, a church van to my right was blocking the road and the view, and I was making a left, next thing I know I was up over the curve and nearly into the wall of the garage beside the stop sign on the right, with airbag choking me and burning my arm, my Red Sunfire was nearly a month old, and totally waisted! The one police officer said the van had left, and the guy that hit me, went racing around the large van to spin around and head the other direction(u turn)...he didn't know I was there and he was speeding to boot. It hurt! I still look at those photos and go dang...........boo hoo hoo.
Sounds like the type of girl a guy would want to marry LOL. Mostly guys like to talk to me because I like cars and trucks. Especially the classics. I hear tales about a Camero sometime in the future, the Camero was one sweet ride when I was growing up. I will try your suggestions, the funny thing is that when I had the Ford dealer look at it to see what they would give me for a trade, but I won't trade it, he asked me if I had an accident, and though my husband keeps saying one thing, his eyes tell another story when it comes to why the car would have rear end problems if any.....I heard from a friend of mine that said they saw him doing doughnuts and such. That is his reward now though HA, he gets to keep it and I get a new one ;) Thanks for the info..........! Appreciate it much! Beth

I think that's a mis-understanding. From all reports the car handles better than the '04 in both base and GT trim.
They didnt go IRS, like previous Cobras, but they used the panhard bar setup that Fox-body (like the 80's) modders used to set the car up for road course racing.
And since it shares the Lincoln/ Jag DEW platform it is indeed improvable..{and likely with 'bolt-ons'} but you might not gain as much handling as you'd think.
And remember Nascar Road Course cars still use the live axle. And those cars, thoguh they aint the same as always turn left, still follow the template and dont do all that badly.
you pay..DEAL with it!
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

True, it surely does handle well! I have to say it is tight!!!, especially since it is a new car test drive, I want to know if it will still do hairpins at 50? I know my Sunfire has a great ability to take a turn without missing a beat, that is one of the things I liked about it.(no slide) And will it continue on after a year? Hey I don't know anything much about suspension if you guys have some suggestions I would love to hear them! I don't want to go all out on body modification because I love it the way it is, my hubby was saying this kit and that, but I want to keep it simple, it rocks by itself. But I want to make the suspension the best it can be. As far as any mods I do have a question for you guys, I would like to raise the car a bit, it will have the 17 inch rims on it, but what is the best way to raise the entire car a few inches without sacrifice or do you think that is a bad idea? I have been looking at parts and gotta say that the Saleen hood is the best look for me, although the cal-induction hoods aren't bad either. I am tempted to go ahead and purchase, but I decided to wait until I have another thou to put down. I like the Torch Red, do not like the pony package front--although he said a lot of people do...think I will go with the smoked front covers and a black satin grille in the front top and bottom, only a black trim between the headlights in the back, some side trim and louvers for the side and back window...and gotta join the Mustang Club here in Houston....I always wanted one, and now is the time :-) My husband saw something about the new Camero on a car show on tv, now he is all drooling at the thought. But I can't say anything about it cause I always wanted a Mustang(60 look) and I am doing a lot of drooling of my own lol, and I am finally going to have one YES! Merry Christmas toooooo ME... :-) I already bought a new buffer and some really nice polish! BTW the back seat is a little better on this model! Although it has no room for the middle, most of your sporty cars don't but I don't like the hump in the center at all, but OH well heehee. Beth

NOW, dear... it's time for you to take this to:
rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
I already sent this response there...
And you'll meet Kate... who went the other way... into the realm of off- road darkness, Mustang > Jeep ;) - - - -- - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - And that hump in the back seat? What's the diff!... Back in the day..... that's what blankets were for in summer and parents with Buicks in the winter.
you pay..DEAL with it!
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

Hey thanks. HAHAHA. Those where the days, when we met in 1980, my husband had a 1972 Chevelle green with a white leather top with an 8-track! We played the Eagles a lot then. Those where the days ;) That was a great car! Thank you again! Beth
I owned a 2003 GT convertible and now I own a 2005. The 2005 GT is light years ahead of the 2003 in the way it handles. It handles as well as my 2005 Lincoln LS V8 Sport even with its IRS.
mike hunt

: >> : : > : > True, it surely does handle well! I have to say it is tight!!!, : > especially since it is a new car test drive, I want to know if it will : > still do hairpins at 50?
*heavy sigh*
: > As far as any mods I do have a question for you guys, I would like to : > raise the car a bit, it will have the 17 inch rims on it, but what is : > the best way to raise the entire car a few inches without sacrifice or : > do you think that is a bad idea?
FUCK YEA IT"S A BAD-STUPID-UGLY ASSED IDEA Has the peroxide fried her brain or what? Jeezus H Jumped up Christ , what kind of an idiot raises a Mustang?
I have been looking at parts and gotta : > say that the Saleen hood is the best look for me,
Strapped to it with a deer tag tied to your toe?
although the : > cal-induction hoods aren't bad either. : > I am tempted to go ahead and purchase, but I decided to wait until I : > have another thou to put down. I like the Torch Red, do not like the : > pony package front--although he said a lot of people do...think I will : > go with the smoked front covers and a black satin grille in the front : > top and bottom, only a black trim between the headlights in the back, : > some side trim and louvers for the side and back window...and gotta : join : > the Mustang Club here in Houston....I always wanted one, and now is the : > time :-) : > My husband saw something about the new Camero
That's C-A-M-A-R-O
oh my god... oh my god.. oh my god.... BM, this is clearly all your fault.
on a car show on tv, now : > he is all drooling at the thought. But I can't say anything about it : > cause I always wanted a Mustang(60 look) and I am doing a lot of : > drooling of my own lol, and I am finally going to have one YES!
Now do the bouncy booobie hop, pigtails waggling and clapping wildly Oh goody goody goody! Now bounce some more..... the boys will love it.
Merry : > Christmas toooooo ME... :-) I already bought a new buffer and some : > really nice polish! : > BTW the back seat is a little better on this model! Although it has no : > room for the middle, most of your sporty cars don't but I don't like : the : > hump in the center at all, but OH well heehee. : > Beth : > : > : > : : NOW, dear... it's time for you to take this to: : : rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang : : I already sent this response there... : : And you'll meet Kate... who went the other way... into the realm of off- : road darkness, Mustang > Jeep
And you wonder WHY ????? Obviously I am too old now to do the bouncy boobie jumping thang. I'd hurt m'salf.
: ;) c'mere BM so I can punch you in the nose.
*sigh* BM, Did I say you are a smart ass?? Oh yea, I think I did. Just in case I didn't YOU sir, are a smart ass! How the hell did you decide to drag my name into this anyway?
Oh, I think I know.. so you could watch the bouncy boobie hopping thing..... LOL
: - - - -- - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - : And that hump in the back seat? What's the diff!... Back in the : day..... that's what blankets were for in summer and parents with Buicks : in the winter.
If you can afford a new Mustang, you should be able to afford a room and if you're young enough to bouncy, then you shouldn't mind the bump
: KJK 2O|||||||O5 Liberty

OMFG! That was hilarious! LMAO!
--
Scott W.