How many cylinders? Lincoln LS

Page 1 of 2
Okay, I grew up in the days of the straight 6, V-8's, in-line 4s...
New cars confuse me. Although I was pretty good with points and condensers. HAHA.
So, my son bought a Lincoln LS. He lives an hour away. He does not KNOW what type of engine it has.
He is bringing it "home" on Sunday for me to show him how to change the oil, filters, etc. At least I can still do some things.
But, I need to buy the filters beforehand. And we are in a very rural area and I can buy the filters on Saturday or not at all.
So, is there an easy way for him to know how many cylinders his car has, so I can buy the right parts tommorrow (Saturday)?
The parts store said some of the parts are the same on both cars, but others are different....
Engine displacment will be on a decal under the hood... This is a good thing.... VIN 8 is engine displacement (this is the 8th digit of the VIN)... This is a good thing....
I'm a top posting bastuhd... this is a good thing....

Jim Warman wrote:

What's a bastuhd? I heard of a bastard before, but not a bastuhd. Either way, top-posting is not good. However, your understanding that you're a bastard is a good start. Now, you need to understand that top posting is rude and only idiots do it.
More accurately, the 8th digit specifies the particular engine, not engine displacement. For example, the Taurus had different engines with the same displacementment (Vulcan and Duratec). They had different 8th digits. You can find out more by entering a particular VIN here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/VIN_tools/default.asp . Alternatively, you can download a VIN guide in the PDF format, and use that to find out the engine the car has.
Jeff

That's easy, count the plugs. TheV6 and the V8 are they same modular engine that can be of a number of differnt cylinders

So, by that metric,how many cylinders is a 1994 Ranger with a 2.3 liter engine?

One is a 60* V-6 the other is a 90* V-8.
There is no way they can be "they same modular engine."
On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 23:58:09 -0500, aarcuda69062

All2.3s are 4cyl, even though some rangers would appear to be VERY narrow V8s

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:

" That's easy, count the plugs."
It is obvious to the observer that the engine has two plugs per cylinder
If you are correct than the information I was given was not correct. ;)

Really? The OP states; "So, my son bought a Lincoln LS. He lives an hour away. He does not KNOW what type of engine it has."
If he can't manage to look at the VECI sticker, how could one suppose that he could determine one plug per cylinder from two?

Feel free to prove me wrong.

Apparently, you have a lot of questionable sources.
I'm not sure, does he go a public school?

Mike hunt wrote:

I got a great education at a public school. There are many excellent public schools like Mastermin in Philly and Advancements in NYC. So, a public school does not mean a bad education. (Of course, teaching in Harlem, I know that it does not necessarily mean a good one, either.)
Jeff

Jeff wrote:

That should be Stuyvesant in NYC. Bad spell checker.

Etto Brute? LOL

I know, two of my dragsters are tacher. I should have said inn city public schools, like Detroit or DC

Mike hunt wrote:

NYC has some excellent inner city schools, like the Bronx Science HS (I forget the formal name of the school). In addition, Detroit has the Renaissance HS and Washington DC has Dubnar High School. Both cities, as well as New York City and Philadelphia have other excellent high schools.
Unfortunately, the real problem, IMHO, in NYC and other big cities is that the parents, for multiple reasons, are not nearly as involved in their community and schools as they should be. The Upper West Side (UPS) has many excellent schools (in NYC). Just north of UPS has many crappy schools and a few good ones.
Suburban and rural schools run from crappy to excellent, too.
Jeff

You are correct it is not the teacher but the conditions under which the must work, the administrators, the conditions at home and the help or lack of it for them and the kids, from the parents. Union contracts that require all teachers with equal training to be paid the same, without regard to WHERE they have to work or how well or badly they teach. Teachers are not like line workers, putting nuts on bolts.
My local schools graduate 98 percent of the students, most with honors and high honors. Well over 70% go own to schools of higher education. That is not the same in big city schools, certainly not in Philadelphia

Where do you see an indication that the OPs son is in any school at all?

If I knew that I would not have ask the question, right? ;)

And the relevancy is?
To what?