How many cylinders? Lincoln LS

Page 2 of 2

Exactly.

Some Ranger 4 cylinders had two plugs per cylinder....
Ed

Ford has never built a V-6 in the modular engine family (4.6L V-8, 5.4L V-8, 6.9L V-10). Maybe they planned one, but they never actually produced one. The V-8 and V-6 engines in a Lincoln are from completely different engine families, neither of which are related to the Ford modular engine family. The V-6 is related to the Duratec 3.0L V-6 sold in many Ford products, but it is actually a different engine that has some of the same basic dimensions and shares some parts. Not sure of all of the differences but if you look at the costs, the LS V-6 costs a lot more than the Duratec V6 from a Sable. Wikipedia lists some of the differences (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratec_engine#Duratec_30 ). Apparently the heads are completely different. The LS V8 was designed for Jaguar but was/is built in a Ford retained plant (Bridgend plant). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ-V8_engine#3.9 .
Ed
Tell him to go to ebay, search Lincoln LS and look at the engine pictures in a few of the ads.
for instance, this one shows the engine in a V6 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lincoln-LS-w-Luxury-Pkg-05-LS-PremiumV6-Gas-aver-Leather-Loaded-CarfaxCertified_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31850QQihZ016QQitemZ260248439887QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
and this one shows a V8 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lincoln-LS-WE-FINANCE-2005-LINCOLN-LS-LS-V8-SPORT-A-C-SEATS-ROOF-38K-17RIMS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31850QQihZ010QQitemZ200230573215QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
In those picts you will notice that the engines looks quite different, and in fact V8 or V6 is written on the top cover.
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Al wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lincoln-LS-w-Luxury-Pkg-05-LS-PremiumV6-Gas-aver-Leather-Loaded-CarfaxCertified_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31850QQihZ016QQitemZ260248439887QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lincoln-LS-WE-FINANCE-2005-LINCOLN-LS-LS-V8-SPORT-A-C-SEATS-ROOF-38K-17RIMS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31850QQihZ010QQitemZ200230573215QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

If the car has a manual transmissions, it's a Duratec V6. IIRC, both the V6 and V8 were available with the automatic transmission.
Jeff
On Jun 20, 7:45pm, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

OP again. Glad I gave the group a good subject to debate. LOL.
Dear son is a high school dropout, I blame the school for a number of reasons, but this is a car forum... Anyway, he managed to get a minimum wage job working for a law firm. Within a few months, they saw he actually did have a brain, although it is NOT mechanically-oriented.
So, he got a decent raise and a better job and bought the Lincoln.
Asked him to open the hood Friday night to look for any stickers, etc. Well, the car has a giant plastic engine cover that says "Lincoln V-8," so we figured it was probably a V-8.
He showed up today...and guess what...it is a V-8. We got all the warning lights turned off that had been pestering him by flashing "change this, check that." We changed oil, oil filter and Cabin Filter. We left the air filter....the engine has been customized and it sports a $70 K&N air filter....it looked clean.

Go to https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/default.asp and input the VIN. This will give you the engine size. If the eighth digit is an "A" the car as the 3.9L V-8, otherwise the V-6.
Ed