How many cylinders? Lincoln LS

To what?

Reply to
Mike hunt

OP again. Glad I gave the group a good subject to debate. LOL.

Dear son is a high school dropout, I blame the school for a number of reasons, but this is a car forum... Anyway, he managed to get a minimum wage job working for a law firm. Within a few months, they saw he actually did have a brain, although it is NOT mechanically-oriented.

So, he got a decent raise and a better job and bought the Lincoln.

Asked him to open the hood Friday night to look for any stickers, etc. Well, the car has a giant plastic engine cover that says "Lincoln V-8," so we figured it was probably a V-8.

He showed up today...and guess what...it is a V-8. We got all the warning lights turned off that had been pestering him by flashing "change this, check that." We changed oil, oil filter and Cabin Filter. We left the air filter....the engine has been customized and it sports a $70 K&N air filter....it looked clean.

Reply to
timbirr

Exactly.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

" That's easy, count the plugs."

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Some Ranger 4 cylinders had two plugs per cylinder....

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Ford has never built a V-6 in the modular engine family (4.6L V-8,

5.4L V-8, 6.9L V-10). Maybe they planned one, but they never actually produced one. The V-8 and V-6 engines in a Lincoln are from completely different engine families, neither of which are related to the Ford modular engine family. The V-6 is related to the Duratec 3.0L V-6 sold in many Ford products, but it is actually a different engine that has some of the same basic dimensions and shares some parts. Not sure of all of the differences but if you look at the costs, the LS V-6 costs a lot more than the Duratec V6 from a Sable. Wikipedia lists some of the differences (see
). Apparently the heads are completely different. The LS V8 was designed for Jaguar but was/is built in a Ford retained plant (Bridgend plant). See
. Ed
Reply to
C. E. White

Go to

and input the VIN. This will give you the engine size. If the eighth digit is an "A" the car as the 3.9L V-8, otherwise the V-6. Ed

Reply to
C. E. White