How much does it cost to replace driver belt?

How much does it cost to replace driver belt? They are charging like $300, is this fair?

Need more information ..
Drive belt on\in what..
If its a car ... make model size of engine etc..
If its a timing belt replacement then that price maybe reasonable!
P.

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:40:32 -0300, "Need Stuff"
It is a Ford Tempo. Yes it is timing belt.

Ford Tempos don't have a timing belt. Bob

The diesel does. But that is ancient history.

I thought of those when I posted but didn't think they actually used a belt. I was wrong, they use two timing belts.Thankfully almost all of them have been through the crusher already. What a POS those things were. Bob

Actually I checked again, it is the engine drive serpintine belt and tensioner. The belt itself is cheap, but labor costs a lot.

snipped-for-privacy@nomorenewspamin.ca says...

Please, post the facts next time, or all you will get is bad advice and useless guesses. There is no way labor is adding up to that much for a silly drive belt. I STRONGLY doubt that the tensioner is bad unless it's making a racket. And it's not hard to replace, especially if all they are doing is replacing the pulley and/or bearing. Wiggle it yourself and see if it feels loose. In short, Yes, you are probably being ripped off. Unless you left out more info.
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 18:56:30 -0700, John Alt
The tensioner assembly itself is mroe expensive than the belts.

snipped-for-privacy@nomorenewspamin.ca says...

As I said before, give us some facts if you want to know if you are getting screwed. How much exactly is the tensioner, belt, and labor? Did he tell you what is wrong with the tensioner. I've never had to do anything other than change the bearing on the pulley, which is part of a pulley assembly on many vehicles. Just like a doctor, you may want to take it to another shop for a second opinion.
That would be the water pump belt. Bob

snipped-for-privacy@nomorenewspamin.ca says...

Are you sure you have a timing belt, what year is it? Is it the diesel? Either way though, that is a reasonable price.
What kind of car??? What engine???
I take it you mean the timing belt?