How much gas is left when a typical Taurus gas gauge reads 0?

Hi,
I was driving my wifes '99 Taurus Wagon today, and because the fuel gauge said empty, and I mean right on the empty line, I figured I better fill it up. Well, it only took 48 litres (12.75 US gallons) to
get it right up to the full line. I'm pretty sure the tank is supposed to hold more than 48 litres. More like 65 litres (17 USG) I think. I vaguely recall there may have been a recall or something about a problem with the sending unit or something indicating 0 when there was plenty of fuel left. I thought it may have even been a recall, and assumed it was fixed until I saw what happened today. Was I dreaming about a legit problem with a free Ford cure?
Thanks,
Norm

4 gallons isnt much when you look at depth of the fuel left in the tank, sloshing. You really should fill it up before it gets real low anyway. It is bad for the pump to let it get so low that it catches air on turns or hard stops. It will cook the pump little by little. I think you should leave it alone.
Scott M wrote:

It's not just that you may slurp up air on turns; it's that the pump is bathed by the fuel for cooling. If the pump becomes uncovered, it's going to run hot(ter), reducing its effective life. I always refuel immediately after the low fuel light comes on, even though I know I still could run another 100 miles or so on what's left.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com.barf

Very True
Father Guido wrote:

The wagon is supposed to have a 16 gallon capacity. On my '97, I have about 60 miles @25 mpg, or just over 2 gallons when the low fuel lamp comes on... I would fill it up right away, though, to prevent damage to the pump.
That said, I have put 22.05 US Gallons in this 16 gallon tank. Just enough to go the 305 mi. to Boston & back...
Rob
Re: How much gas is left when a typical Taurus gas gauge reads 0? Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Sun, Aug 1, 2004, 10:21am From: snipped-for-privacy@usdatanet.net (trainfan1)
That said, I have put 22.05 US Gallons in this 16 gallon tank.<<<<<<<<<<
Not to doubt you but I find 22 gallons in a 16 gallon tank a bit of a stretch.
Eric
Eric Toline wrote:

It sure is, but that has been my experience with several Fords. '89 Aerostar SWB - 15 gal. tank, would hold 21 when filled from empty(LWB Van rated @ 17 gal.). '82 LTD S - 18 gal. tank, would hold 22 when filled from empty(this was a nice ride too... 27 mpg w/ 255ci V-8 - only 115hp, though). '85 Crown, '86 Tempo, & '87 Taurus all had similar capacity discrepancies, but not quite 6 gallons!
Rob
I agree... my '93 Tempo had a 14 gallon tank and I had on a few occassions getting over 18 gallons into it. Must just be a Ford thing cause never had such discrepancies in any other vehicles of mine.
Rob
(trainfan1)

Re: How much gas is left when a typical Taurus gas gauge reads 0? Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Sun, Aug 1, 2004, 7:17pm From: snipped-for-privacy@usdatanet.net (trainfan1) Eric Toline wrote: Re: How much gas is left when a typical Taurus gas gauge reads 0? Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Sun, Aug 1, 2004, 10:21am From: snipped-for-privacy@usdatanet.net (trainfan1) That said, I have put 22.05 US Gallons in this 16 gallon tank.<<<<<<<<<< Not to doubt you but I find 22 gallons in a 16 gallon tank a bit of a stretch. Eric
It sure is, but that has been my experience with several Fords. '89 Aerostar SWB - 15 gal. tank, would hold 21 when filled from empty(LWB Van rated @ 17 gal.). '82 LTD S - 18 gal. tank, would hold 22 when filled from empty(this was a nice ride too... 27 mpg w/ 255ci V-8 - only 115hp, though). '85 Crown, '86 Tempo, & '87 Taurus all had similar capacity discrepancies, but not quite 6 gallons! Rob <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Interesting. My '99 Taurus has a 16 gallon tank. I always refill around the 1/4 mark which I assume means 4 gallons left. Most I was ever able to put in was 12-13 gallons even after the auto pump shut off kicks in.
Eric

I think it is a trick by Ford to get husband to fill up the gas tank when they barrow the car from the wife.
Thanks for the comments, I think the last one -- to get the husband to fill it up was/is the best. The car had gone just over 315 miles when I got in.
Norm
Typically gas gauges are not linear, they will register full at about 85% of capacity and when a gauge reads empty there is three to four gallons remaining in the tank. The reason is twofold, one so you don't run the tank dry and pick up contaminates and to insure the pump remains covered with fuel
mike hunt