How much gas is left when a typical Taurus gas gauge reads 0?

Hi,

I was driving my wifes '99 Taurus Wagon today, and because the fuel gauge said empty, and I mean right on the empty line, I figured I better fill it up. Well, it only took 48 litres (12.75 US gallons) to get it right up to the full line. I'm pretty sure the tank is supposed to hold more than 48 litres. More like 65 litres (17 USG) I think. I vaguely recall there may have been a recall or something about a problem with the sending unit or something indicating 0 when there was plenty of fuel left. I thought it may have even been a recall, and assumed it was fixed until I saw what happened today. Was I dreaming about a legit problem with a free Ford cure?

Thanks,

Norm

Reply to
Father Guido

4 gallons isnt much when you look at depth of the fuel left in the tank, sloshing. You really should fill it up before it gets real low anyway. It is bad for the pump to let it get so low that it catches air on turns or hard stops. It will cook the pump little by little. I think you should leave it alone.
Reply to
Scott M

The wagon is supposed to have a 16 gallon capacity. On my '97, I have about 60 miles @25 mpg, or just over 2 gallons when the low fuel lamp comes on... I would fill it up right away, though, to prevent damage to the pump.

That said, I have put 22.05 US Gallons in this 16 gallon tank. Just enough to go the 305 mi. to Boston & back...

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

It's not just that you may slurp up air on turns; it's that the pump is bathed by the fuel for cooling. If the pump becomes uncovered, it's going to run hot(ter), reducing its effective life. I always refuel immediately after the low fuel light comes on, even though I know I still could run another 100 miles or so on what's left.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Very True

Reply to
Scott M

I think it is a trick by Ford to get husband to fill up the gas tank when they barrow the car from the wife.

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks for the comments, I think the last one -- to get the husband to fill it up was/is the best. The car had gone just over 315 miles when I got in.

Norm

Reply to
Father Guido

Re: How much gas is left when a typical Taurus gas gauge reads 0? Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Sun, Aug 1, 2004, 10:21am From: snipped-for-privacy@usdatanet.net (trainfan1)

That said, I have put 22.05 US Gallons in this 16 gallon tank.

Reply to
Eric Toline

Reply to
trainfan1

Reply to
Sijuki

Typically gas gauges are not linear, they will register full at about 85% of capacity and when a gauge reads empty there is three to four gallons remaining in the tank. The reason is twofold, one so you don't run the tank dry and pick up contaminates and to insure the pump remains covered with fuel

mike hunt

Father Guide wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo

Re: How much gas is left when a typical Taurus gas gauge reads 0? Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Sun, Aug 1, 2004, 7:17pm From: snipped-for-privacy@usdatanet.net (trainfan1) Eric Toline wrote: Re: How much gas is left when a typical Taurus gas gauge reads 0? Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Sun, Aug 1, 2004, 10:21am From: snipped-for-privacy@usdatanet.net (trainfan1) That said, I have put 22.05 US Gallons in this 16 gallon tank.

Reply to
Eric Toline