How much is this car worth?

Page 2 of 3

YES YOU MAY SAY WOW!!!!!! I have seen the pictures and it was really sad to see a 4 year old car like that. I myself drive a 1992 Volvo 940 SE with leather seats, etc and still after 12 years !!!!!!!!!! it looks almost like new. Perhaps European quality is much better, I don't know. (I live in the Netherlands). But a car like the Lincoln wouldn't pass the annual check overhere. It had to be repaired first. (for what costs ?????) For real safety reasons I would buy a S80, and it doesn't really matter what year built. Ofcourse I understand you parents concernes about saving money for a rainy day. I bought my car with 200,000 KM on the clock and only in the beginning I had some additional repairs concerning Lambda and minor engine difficulties (because the car was neglected by previous owners), but now 10,000 KM later it still drives great. High milage will not say it's a bad car, but you never know. Volvo engines are known as very good and reliable engines. Before buying, let the car be checked by an independent expert to get a good opinion. Good luck with your search.
regards Peter
says...

agreed, my Saab 900 t16S is 20 years old this year. has a little wear and tear but is in sparkling condition inside and out compared to that Lincoln.
one upside of taking that car for inspection/MAT is that, you will have given the examiner a good laugh, and a story to tell in the bar that night, so the next guy through might get an easier deal if the examiner hasn't stopped laughing.
--
The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.
http://www.bouncing-czechs.com

Amen! YOU nailed it!.....:)
PC
| > I want to buy a used car(either a 2002 Saab 9-5 Linear Sedan or a 2001 | > Volvo S80). | > My parents on the other hand are trying to get me to save my money and | > drive one of their older 2000 Lincoln Town Cars. | > I don't think the Town Car is a safe car because the fuel tank is | > located behind the rear axle. | > My mom wants me to save my money for a rainy day and not buy a car, | > and maybe(which seems unlikely at the time) my dad will buy me a | > cheaper car like a high milage 1999 Volvo S80 so I can save my money | > for a rainy day, or else I'll have to buy a car with my own money | > because I just don't feel safe any car that has a rear fuel tank(such | > as a Pinto, Mustang, Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, or Town Car). | > | > I know my dad probably won't allow me to sell the 2000 Town Car in | > order to buy a 99 S80, but just on the off chance that he does allow | > it, what is this 2000 Town Car Executive worth? | > My dad says that it's worth at least $10,500, but I say it's worth | > less than $6700. | > | > DON'T FORGET TO LOOK AT THE PICS AT THE BOTTOM. | > | > I'll give a detailed description and point out the problems and I've | > included SEVERAL PICS to show you what kind of wear and tear and | > damage the car has. | > Don't Forget to look at problem NUMBER 16, since it's the most | > important problem. | > | > | > | > Here's a list of the problems. | > | > | > 1. The rear bumper is cracked. | > | > 2. The left rear tail light is chipped. | > | > 3. One of the side view mirrors is painted a different color than the | > rest of the car. | > | > 4. The button to open the gas door doesn't work, so you have to open | > the trunk and pull a cord with a handle inside the trunk to open the | > gas door. | > | > 5. The remote sensors on the car don't work so you CAN'T open or lock | > the doors, or open the trunk or the gas door remotely. | > | > 6. The Power Mirrors Don't work, you have to physcially push the | > mirrors with your hands to adjust them. | > | > 7. The door to the driver's left armrest is loose and even if you try | > to put it back in place, it just falls off every time you close the | > door(the big one not the armrest door). | > | > 8. The Front Center Armrest(storage console) is unhinged on the right | > side and part of it is missing and broken. | > | > 9. The rear left ashtray door is missing. | > | > 10. The 12 volt input jack would normally be inbetween the 2 | > cupholders, but on this Town Car, it just dangles near the floor and | > it's impossible to try and put it back in its place(it just doesn't | > seem to fit). | > | > 11. The front right floormat is missing. | > | > 12. The car generally has excessive wear and tear for a car that's | > less than 4 years old. | > | > 13. The driver's control console(windows, locks, mirrors) is not | > properly in place. | > | > 14. You always get the "sevice engine soon" warning when you turn on | > the car. | > | > 15. The Magazine Pouch that's located on the back of the front | > passenger seat has become unstappled and part of it is dangling on the | > ground(unfortunately I forgot to take a pic of this). | > | > | > 16. The BIGGEST problem is that the transmission is messed up. | > The car will NOT shift past 2nd gear while in "OVERDRIVE"(overdrive is | > the normal driving setting). | > Each time you star the car, you have to push a button on the shifter | > to switch to "Overdrive Off". | > What "overdrive off" does is that it only gives you 3 forward gears | > instead of 4, and "overdrive off" also gives you more engine breaking. | > So I always drive in "overdrive off". | > If I ever forget to press the button to engage "overdrive off" after | > starting the car, then the car tops out with a BLAZING FAST top speed | > of about 35mph in 2nd gear and I can hear the RPMs going real high so | > then I have to press the button to engage "overdrive off and then I | > can shift into 3rd gear. | > I wonder if my dad gave me this car because it only has 3 forward | > gears and thus has a very low top speed compared to all other cars on | > the road. | > I never drive that fast anyway, and thus I've never even found out | > what the top speed of this car is in 3rd gear(since it basically | > doesn't have a 4th gear because it's broken). | > | > BTW, don't forget to see the pics to see what I mean. | > | > Here are the pics. | > | > http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid 56 | > | > http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid 57 | > | > http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid 58 | > | > http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid 59 | > | > http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid 60 | > | > http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid 61 | > | > http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid 62 | > | > http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid 63 | > | > http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid 64 | |
I guess you really weren't paying attention to my post. I would drive the UGLIEST most beat up unreliable car in the world if it was a very safe car and had a strong boron steel safety/roll cage, great crash test results, tons of airbags, great injury rates, very low death rates, etc over the best looking most reliable sportiest, biggest babe magnet of a car if that car was not a very safe car. As horrible as the Town Car looks, that's NOT my main problem with it, my problems with it are the fact that it has a rear fuel tank(behind the rear axle), the fact that it doesn't have 5 star NHTSA front or side crash test results, the fact that it is untested in the IIHS front offset or the European NCAP Front Offset crash test. The fact that I suspect that the roof on the Town Car is basically made of foil and probably doesn't have any structrual integrity since it probably doesn't have what in effect would be considered a roll cage the way Volvos do(I saw them do a rollover crash test on the Volvo XC90 on the Discovery Science Channel and the same test with a Ford F-150 and the performance of the Volvo was INCREDIBLY IMPRESSIVE and the F-150s performance was very sad). I would for example not have so many problems with driving a Volvo S80 in the same condition that the Town Car is in. I'm not looking for what you think I'm looking for in a car. My list of important features about a car are these in order of importance.
1. SAFETY 2. Reliability 3. Fuel Economy 4. Cost of Spare Parts/Labor

Try the bus for short trips and scheduled airlines for long ones. They meet all your criteria.
Howard

You have a very long list of "features" you want, but it seems you're overlooking the big picture. Obviously you want to get from point A to point B in one piece, there's a lot more to the equation than the length of the list of safety features. Most important is the driver, if you're a skilled and attentive driver it'll go a *long* way towards the goal. Next the way the car handles can do a lot to help you get out of trouble. Unfortunatly there's a lot of not so good drivers out there so sometimes an accident can't be avoided but there's plenty of good safe cars out there. Plenty of cars have lots of safety features and even did well on crash tests but still perform rather poorly in the real world. The fuel tank behind the axel isn't a problem, my brother was driving a '79 Volvo with a rear fuel tank, no airbags, just a good solid design by a '97 Honda that was going roughly 40 mph. The Honda crumpled up past the front wheels and dumped fluids all over the road, driver sustained minor injuries. The Volvo drove home with a slightly buckled rear end, fuel tank was undisturbed. That's my only firsthand experience but there's plenty of other examples out there, I've seen lots of 240's that have been hit hard in the rear and have yet to see one where the fuel tank ruptured. Engineers think of this sort of thing so they protect the tank between the heavy steel frame rails below the crumple zone. In the end, my two cents are if you want a very safe car, look into a Volvo 240 or 740 series, they're tanks and they won't let you down. If you want something a little more sleek and sporty but still quite safe consider a Saab 900 or 9000 series. Always wear your seatbelt and don't put all your faith into airbags. In some cases they can save you, in others they can kill or seriously injure you. I personally prefer to not have an airbag, a well designed car with properly used seatbelts is safe and I don't have to worry about an explosive charged bag breaking my nose if I bump a pillar in a parking lot or have an electrical malfunction, both with plenty of documented incidents.
On 9 Jul 2004 19:16:17 -0700, hollywood snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (The Diesel) wrote:

The most important safety feature in ANY car is the nut holding the steering wheel. With anything resembling due care and attention a Linc Town Car is a pretty safe vehicle. And among it's faults, a rear mounted fuel tank ranks WAYYYY down the list.
Drive the Linc carefully - spend a bit of time and money to remedy the most serious deficiencies, and prove to your folks you can be trusted with something better.
Either that or oil up the chain on the old Huffy or Sekine and keep on pedalling.

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Heh, something I picked up on the 'net once-
The greatest safety feature would be a sharp spike pointing straight out of the steering wheel- in every car. 8-O
Jim Carriere wrote:

What I found amazing was the great mileage on the car over just four years. Assuming a comsumption of 25 mpg imperial (optimistic for a large car). Then the cost of tanking this behemoot in the UK for 246,000 miles would be 35,500!
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 16:09:04 GMT, Johannes H Andersen

And here in Canada, at the current prevailing prices, roughly $44,675 Canadian. Pretty close to the depreciation cost of the car over those 4 years, and enough to buy a VERY nice, smaller vehicle.

years.
Then
35,500!
The cost of fuel over the life of a car is almost always more than the cost of the purchase. Works that way with most anything, the cost of electricity to run a lightbulb for it's lifespan is many times the cost of the bulb. The cost of methane to run a furnace will be dozens the price of the furnace, the cost of ink cartridges could be hundreds of times what you pay for the printer, it's just how the world works.

In the last case, the cost of your first replacement set of ink cartridges can exceed the cost of the printer!
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

But it's also the amount of driving that surprises me. Me 9000 has done 100k miles in 11 years. Perhaps the US is a larger country so people have to drive more. They also have drive-in cinemas, burger bars, everything and I've heard that many people live their lives in their cars?

100k
drive
heard
Drive-in cinemas and burger joints were all the rage in the 1950's, they're nearly extinct now though. Of course there's the drivethroughs like McDonalds everywhere but I imagine those must be in the UK as well. I think I read somewhere that the average American drives 20k miles a year, some people like my dad for example drive much more than that because of a long commute to work. Generally when you see cars with extremely high mileage they've belonged to a travelling salesman or someone who does a great deal of business travel to destinations too close for flying to be economical but far enough to really rack up the miles.
On 7/11/04 12:36 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@sizefitterlikneasfuongtuintgsjadfasejk.com, "Johannes H

And here in Los Angeles, public transportation sucks, so you have to drive everywhere.
writes:

We have a pronounced car culture in the US, in which all other forms of transportation are seen not as alternatives but as impediments to driving: pedestrians, cyclists, buses, trains, etc. Many American's private policy is to avoid personal exertion and use the car at all times, even to drive to the health club for exercise.
Our transportation policy tends to be centered on moving cars rather than moving people and goods. It's not unusual for people to have a 40 mile (64 km) one-way commute to work. Do that 250 times a year and you've got 20,000 miles right there. On top of that, places like supermarkets and doctor's offices are often unapproachable except by car or by risking your life to get there on foot or by bike.
However, America is not unique. Wherever people buy cars, they tend to develop this behavior pattern. My wife's relatives in Denmark have developed this (despite the aggressive taxation on cars there) and this is also becoming a phenomenon in China as people become more affluent and can afford to buy a car. Much of Europe seems to be struggling with how to reduce driving; America has not yet confronted this and prefers instead to spend hundreds of billions of dollars building roads that are already obsolete by the time they are completed.
My area got its first modern light rail system, all of 8 miles long. Initial ridership was hoped to be 9,500 people per day and twice that by the end of the year; actual ridership was near 20,000 per day in the first week of operation! Perhaps there's hope for a more rational transportation system after all, even here.
Through it all, I try to ride my bike to work when I can and consolidate my driving trips as much as possible. My 1990 240 has only 138,000 miles on it, 34,000 of which I have put on in 2 1/2 years of ownership. My wife's 1990 240 just topped 200,000 miles, but it had 184,000 when we bought it.
i looked at the pic's, read the problems and the only one i see is the tranny. the rest i have had in most of my cars. take the car, fix the tranny, then the other smaller problems later. if it gets 10+ mpg your better then me. you are whinning like a little baby who dosent have his blanket. i would have loved to have that car when i was in need of one. its probaly worth more like the 6700 BUT its FREE to you so shut up and drive it.

In article <40F18876.1E375269
snipped-for-privacy@sizefitterlikneasfuongtuintgsjadfasejk.com says...

Likewise, my C900 has done 135k in 20 years (this year), and I've put on 17k of that in the 1.5 years I've owned it as a daily commuter bus.
--
The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.
http://www.bouncing-czechs.com
Johannes H Andersen wrote:

That works out at an average speed of about 7mph throughout the entire four years, and at UK prices a little over a pound an hour.
(This is probably the most useless information I've ever contributed to usenet.)
--

Stewart Hargrave

For email, replace 'SpamOnlyToHere' with my name