How much to pay for a Ford

Page 2 of 2
What ever you think it is worth, which should be a lot more than a Chevy.

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 23:59:57 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@uncertified.com wrote:

Just look at what the book value is for the car that you like. Then pick how long you will own it. Add to the book value the cost of fixing all the problems you will encounter during those years, like a couple of failed transmissions, repairing several small things like replacing window motors, replacing the plastic fittings in the fuel system that broke off the top of the gas tank, the extra money you will spend because the gas tank fittings leaked for several months before complete failure while you wondered why the car's gas mileage was so poor, the couple of times the air conditioner had to be torn apart because the fittings on the lines wouldn't seal, the engine teardown because of leaking gaskets (either oil or water, but always major like a manifold gasket or head gasket), a couple of heater fan motors, and a radiator because the plastic top cracked and failed. Multiply that by about 10 percent to cover the electrical problems. Add several dollars for your time and frustration of taking it back to the dealer and/or your mechanic to fix it, and for working around problems like power seats that broke and don't quite fit your driving stance any more but you decide to live with them instead of pay to have the problem fixed. When all is added up you have what you actually pay to own a Ford!

Actually, I have paid a lot less for my Ford Contour (ok, it only has 106,000 mi): 4 sets of rear brakes + 1 set of rotors; 1 set of front brakes + 1 set of rotors; 1 wheel bearing, 2 serpentine belts, one water pump belt, one set of plugs, one license plate lamp, two fog lamps, one brake cable (emergency brake), plenty of Mobil1 and Wix filters.
Jeff
Consumers Report names the Taurus a one of the vehicles in its "Recommended" buy list.
mike hunt
Jeff wrote:

Been lurking here for a while and just had to say something. As I'm sure most would agree, Consumer Reports seems to be biased against American cars. Whether that's justified or not, not my point right now. When you said the Taurus was on CR's "recommended" list I had to go get my issue an see for myself. I have the 2003 CR Buying Guide issue in my hands. Its the book-like issue. OH MY GOD! Sure enough, in the 2003 models, the Taurus IS checked as being Recommended. The Ford Taurus gets check marks from CR in its reliability ratings as being at least as good as average. This is only for the model years 96 and up. The years 94 & 95 are on the cars to avoid list.(with lots of other Fords) As for the Best Cars and Worst Cars lists, the Escort actually makes it on the Best list with the Acuras, Hondas, Nissans, Toyotas... The _only_ Ford on the Worst list was the Windstar. (I can check the 2004 Buying Guide issue tomorrow at work for any differences there)