How to tell C6 from C5?

How do you tell what tranny you have, where are the markings on it, it's an 87 F150, 351 engine, over the years I've replace different thing on this
truck and every time I say year and make I get the wrong part, shops have problems too, rebuilt carb was not right according to shop, alternator, not right according to shop, belts not right. So I can't just go by the fact that an 87 - 3 speed should be a C6. I know the manual tranny I pulled out of my jeep said Ford on top, it was an SR4, ( garbage ) so if the markings are on the top like that it will be pretty hard to tell without getting it out.

Hope this helps: http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/056/article/Ford_Transmission_Spotters_Guide.html
Thanks, helps a lot.