Hybrid Lovers Read This and Lament

Page 6 of 7
Whoever wrote:

I recently saw a print article about this topic, not sure if this is the full thing, but quite interesting to me.
http://www.sdreader.com/php/cover.php?mode=article&showpg=1&id 051020
"The chassis that's sitting in a workroom on the campus of San Diego State University is painted a shade of red you'd expect to see on the lips of an attention-starved woman. On a car, the color conjures up speed, sass, and power. But this car's looks are deceptive. Although it can blast from a standstill to 60 miles per hour in less than five seconds, a single gallon of fuel can propel the vehicle 80 miles. The engine is augmented by a battery-powered motor, which can be recharged by plugging a cord into an ordinary wall socket. And the engine fuel? You can run it on diesel if that's convenient. But soybean oil works just as well."
"San Diego State University Professor Jim Burns says people have asked him where they could buy a car like this. "Nowhere," he has to say. When Burns and his team of engineering students designed and built the car -- which they called the "Enigma" -- they weren't trying to develop a commercial product. Instead they wanted to prove that it was possible to make an automobile that used no fossil fuels, got phenomenal mileage, and looked and performed like a race car. Four years later, Burns and a new team of students are attempting to transform Chevrolet's Equinox into the kind of SUV even an environmentalist could love. Their work is part of the Challenge X competition, which is being cosponsored by General Motors and the Department of Energy. Theirs is one of 17 teams, and hardly among the front-runners."
The team's site is at:
http://www.engineering.sdsu.edu/~hev/index.htm
Dave

Good idea. Including the cost of electricity to charge it?
Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

It is used as a power source, just not the only power source. There are many modes of operation where the power required by a hybrid exceeds what the gasoline engine alone can provide and then the battery pack is a power source.

They proved that there was a market for HIGHLY subsidized electric vehicles. If they had charged what these vehicles actually cost them, they market would have likely been zero. A subsidized market doesn't reflect the true underlying demand.

Yep, the glow will wear off in a few more years as the first vehicles begin to require substantial maintenance and replacement of expensive components.
Matt
The hybrids are here to stay
Those who have not started making hybrids are out in the cold
Fuel cells in combination with something else is the future
Which is the best one??
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Sorry perhaps I should have asked, which is the best make and model.
Brian wrote:

Which is the best make and model of Hybrid cars and/or fuel cells
I guess all the major car companies have at least one for you to try out
Lets say ordinary petrol/diesel cars have a lifespan of 10 years with all their moving parts
The fuel cell cars have a lot less moving parts and theoretically they could last for decades
We are then talking about comfort and usability of the cars
You do not take ordinary car and turn it into a fuel cell car
Because we are in fact talking about a revolution, there is hardly any experince with these cars yet
Even if the numbers are marginal at the moment in a few years they will be taking over from the others
There is not much production capacity for these cars yet
It is changing dramatically and fast
All the infrastructures for energydistribution needs to be built up and it will
The need for oil will eventually drop
Fuel cells can be used for heating up houses and in your cell phones
Nuclear plants will be built to generate electricity
There is a lot riding on this new technology
We may not need to pay terrorists for the energy in the future
Thanks for the interesting reply.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

What are you going to do with all that nuclear waste?

Store it safely for a few decades, until we learn how to extract the remaining energy. Maybe at low toxicity levels, it will be sold for use in individual Mr. Fusion home power plants.
--
---
snipped-for-privacy@XReXXHybri.usenet.us.com wrote:

Yes exactly. We have a few squillion square miles of unused dirt (so have you) that we could store horrendous amounts of waste. If you fly over Canada you get some idea of just how much unused dirt we really have. It's even bigger then Texas! (O: (O:

There are two types of Nuclear energy One of them has no waste The other has a lot less waste than oil

If you're talking fusion, you're completely wrong that it has no waste.
FloydR

fusion has only helium and energy as results What you may be thinking of are some experiments have needed fission as a starter then you may get some waste from the starter Other methods of starters give no waste Fusion contained in a magnetic fields and started by electricity is the future of nuclear Until then fission is a good alternative and has a proven very good record Nuclear will rise again

No. You are ignoring the facts of real engineering, as opposed to an ideal thought experiment - which can never be realized in the physical world. All current experiments in fusion have resulted in radioactive waste - google TFTR, or google fusion waste if you want examples.
All fusion reactors will, unavoidably, produce radioactive waste, mostly due to the interaction of the neutron flux produced as it impacts the vessel walls or coolant.
FloydR
The fission solution is available, safe, competitive, reliable, operational. The problem of high activity waste disposal is, objectively, a minor problem, changed into a severe social problem by mass medias. The nuclear waste problem is tiny compared to the gigantic one generated by billions tons of CO2, SO2, NOX sent every year in our atmosphere from fossils fuels.
Fusion is without waste

sigh.

And neutrons. Don't forget the neutrons. And of course a lot of the energy is in the form of gamma rays.
result in a fully-depreciated one.

I've heard it tastes great as a seasoning in soups.
Ted

we get all of our oil from at the moment? We've got lots of unused ICBM's sitting around ;-) Kidding of course ;-)
BTW How much waste is generated by fusion reactors? can't be too much.
I believe that there's more radioactive medical waste generated than power plant radioactive waste. (but I could be wrong) No one is saying that we should quit treating people to reduce pollution are they?