I Absolutely Love My New Mercury Milan

Page 1 of 3
I'm and I needed a comfortable car to fit my long frame. I test drove a number of SUV and sedans.
The dealers in my area are not dealing much on the smaller/efficient SUVs.
Even the Chevy dealer wouldn't do much on an Equinox. My Toyota dealer was the most rude. When I made an offer of $19K on a $22K list RAV4, she wouldn't negotiate. She just sniffed at me and said the best we can do is -$500.
Then I test drove a Milan. The $0-$0-$0 lease deal TV commercials got me into dealership. I jumped on an I4! What a nice car, roomy, great handling, good mileage, nicely equiped. I love the styling. Excellent automobile at a low price. I was able to negotiate the monthly lease down a few more bucks. I think I may wind up buying this car 3 years from now.
The bottom line is that I highly recommend the Milan. Ford is finally getting its shit together.
are these the sisters to the ford five hundred?
What is in them for a powerplant?
FWD? RWD?
How do they compare to the lincoln ls?
Jim M wrote:

TheMilan/Ford Fusion is based on the Mazda 6. They are front wheel drive.
BTW: I made a typo...I meant to say "I'm 6'4" and I needed....

Jim M wrote:

Thats what i love about ford... not only for the last 40 years could you buy the same thing in a mercury, but you can now buy the same thing in a mazda... 1/4 ton trucks for example.. what part couldn't you interchange on those... dont have to know anything about cars to know they're the same.
Can't be efficient to have 2 (3) lines of the same product can it? I mean, the target consumer is ALMOST the same.

Depends! How alike do the Mazda 6 and Milan look?
80% of the market wont even realize they're the same...
Before that, how many Mazda 626 owners knew the Probe was the same car?
Look at another thread on here, where the poster doesnt even want to consider the Grand Marquis though, for 30 years, it's been the same though better built and cheaper to buy.
Want to take a CLOSE look at Toyota v Lexus models? Especially in the introductory years?
you pay..DEAL with it!
The only thing common about the Mercury Grand Marquis and the CV, over 'thirty years,' is the name. The Grand Marquis body, engine, tranny, suspension and even the frame have been changed and upgraded over the years. The current models are state of the art, bullet proof, as well as less expensive than many much smaller V6 FWD cars on the market. ;)
mike hunt

I read and went 'Huh?' Then realized I'd said the GM hadnt changed for thirty years... obviously it has and I meant that the CV and GM have been twins, for at least that period
In some models GM is a little longer, as Merc insisted on actually having some back seat leg room
you pay..DEAL with it!
The GM was not actually longer, but the rear seat was set back an inch and 3/4 because of the more formal roofline and both front and rear ends were different. Eventually the CV was switched to the GM body and the CV body was discontinued. The front end, forward of the 'A' pillar and aft of the 'C' pillar, was always different on each body. Most people did not notice the difference, unless they sat side by side. Lamps, grills and end caps, for example, we not interchangeable.
mike hunt

Ford is not unique in that regard. All manufactures use the same basic chassis, with the resulting economies of scale to build many vehicles, the individual vehicles produced are hardly the same. A chassis can even be modified to us on different types of vehicles as well. Toyota and Honda use the FWD car chassis as the basis for several van and SUVs. Honda for example make the so called Ridgeline 'truck' off the Accord chassis.
mike hunt

Picasso wrote:

Ford hasn't ever figured out what to do with the Mercury brand. They should simply shut it down.
Lincoln should be the premium brand, but is also really just another grab bag.
John

Jaguar is the premium brand, with Volvo second.
Jeff z

Jeff wrote:

Ok wise man, why then do Lincoln and Mercury exist? Lincoln was once Ford's top-of-the-line brand before the disasterous purchase of Jaguar. What exactly has Ford accomplished with Jaguar? Nothing.
You forgot Aston-Martin which in theory sits above Jaguar.
John

I never said that Ford accomplished much with Jaguar. Only that it was it premium brand.

Then I was mistaken. Thanks for the correction.
Jeff

No, it is a brother to the Ford Fusion.

A 2.3L I4 or the 3.0 L Duratec.
http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/milan/models.asp

FWD
Both good cars. Go to your Lincoln Mercury dealer to find out more.
Jeff

No the 500 is a different vehicle built on a Ford chassis first used on several Volvos. The FWD/AWD Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan and the Lincoln Zephyr, known as the Lincoln MKZ for 2007, are built on a modified Ford chassis first used by Mazda in 2005. The 2006s have a 4cy and a 2L 221 hp V6. I own a 2006 Zephyr with the V6, for 2007 the V6 is upped to 3.5L. The V6 get 300 MPG and the 4 cy 34 MPG. The now discontinued Lincoln was a completely different vehicle, built on the same RWD chassis as the Jaguar 'S', the last T-bird and the 2005 Mustang with a V6 and V8 I own four LSs since 1999 and keep my 2005 at my home in Key West. It is a great vehicle, as good as any Lexus LS I ever own and 20K or more cheaper to drive home. Why Ford decided to cease production of such a fine automobile is hard to understand
mike hunt

Picasso wrote:

The Fusion/Milan/Zephyr (oops, Em-Kay-Zee) are derived from the Mazda 6. The Ford 500 started life as the Volvo S80.
FWD.
No relation to the LS, though the MKZ is likely to replace the LS. The LS was jointly developed with Jaguar's "S-type" and is RWD.
John

No, it started life as a Volvo XC70 chassis, which itself was based on the Volvo 850 wagon. That's why there's a Freestyle variant - it's the full wagon version.

I hate to disagree, but this is not being rude. This is letting you know that they won't go down in price. Unlike Ford and Mercury dealers, they don't need to.

I agree. I am glad you like the car. Ford is making a few good cars.
Jeff