I'm angry at Ford!

Page 4 of 5
Thomas Moats wrote:

I'd put the metal in my 1987 Buick's doors against a new Focus anyday.
I've had tree branches an inch thick land on my roof and not make more than a tiny dent. My ex kicked the door as hard as she could and made a scuff - no major dent. The focus can be dented with a couple of fingers. Even my old Buick issn't half as good as my old Volvo 240. That thing had major steel sheets - just a tank.
The manufactures are not looking for dent resistance.

Thomas, So inform us. What are they really looking for? Provide information vice abrasive comments. As far as I'm aware, as with all industries, its all about $$.

"crumple zones" lol
And how the crumple zone reacts while absorbing energy. Metallurgy plays a very big role in it.

Rich wrote:

Gotta save the passengers against the rogue shopping cart by sacrificing the entire door - just to be safe...
Maybe you should, being you work in a mill and all.

Thomas Moats wrote:

Then your comments about it being "stronger" is using a different version of the term than 95% of us consider it to be.

Well in a way yes. I can just as easily put a dent in the side of a vehicle built in the 70's as one built in the current year. That is not quite showing the strength of the material. When the part is formed and how is where the strength comes from. How the metal reacts to out side forces like when that part hits a tree. That is what I'm talking about in strength. Modern sheet metal reacts different from sheet metal used 20 years ago. The thinner metal used today does as well if not better than sheet metal used in the past. As I've said, I'm not a metallurgist. This is information that is passed on in the industry and it is even made publicly known.
Thomas Moats wrote:

Now it's time of my favorite personal quote:
"There is no substitute for mass."

would like to argue that because the car does not seem to have at lot of damage if any at all.
Thomas Moats wrote:

IIRC, a Volvo 240 did just fine in crash tests. So did my old Buick. The Dodge Neon I had for 3-4 months, OTOH, was a deathtrap. Like driving around in a coffin - at least they can bury what's left of you in it. Tinny, nasty little car. Breathe on it too hard and it got a ding in the doors. Push on something too hard and the plastic nearly broke.

a big factor as well as the contact area of the bumper of the big car on the little car. In that fight the driver or occupant of the Neon is in a big disadvantage.

Why do you always tell people to do research. Do you? Just another typical abrasive response.
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards wrote:

No, they just use recycled steel instead of new. Outsource plastic to China instead of Taiwan or domestic.

Last I checked, no.

imagine what they'll be like from China. John

Is she cute?

Major transmission problem? Ford? No way! ;)

What could go wrong? The tranny, that's what. It's a FORD! There's a reason people say "found on road dead" .... they're talking about the trannies.

Yikes. Paid ~$1300 for my shot Ford tranny.

Neither do I. Ever. Yes it's a major problem for Ford. You may still be able to get an extended warranty somewhere. I had a 97 Ford Taurus, junk junk junk tranny, among other things. That car almost nickel and dimed me to death, it's like almost every time I drove it something else broke (and no I'm not exaggerating). Like the time my mechanic had it to fix one thing, he took it out to test drive it after he did his repair, and something else broke! I kid you not! Never again! My Chevy has 177k+ miles and still going strong (knock on wood).
PS I do agree with others posts about Chrysler having similar tranny problems, my friend has a minivan (I think it's Dodge I'm not certain) and the tranny has already been rebuilt once and still has problems. Fortunate for him it was under warranty.
-GV
GlassVial wrote:

5% mandadated cost reduction per year is part of it.
Soon, a Hyundai will be better made.
Here's some math: Say a $10K budget car like an Aveo: Figure $8K in parts and materials and a $10K selling price. 25% seems like a good margin - I can't imagine they'd sell it for less and still remain able to pay for the labor and such.
Take a Ford Focus. $12K in materials and a $15,000 price. (give or take - this is a basic example, not an exact quote) It's a better car - 50% more spent on raw materials and parts.
Fast forward 5 years. Figure 2% price increase per year for materials on the Daewoo and 5% decrease per year(mandated by Ford or else you are dropped) on the Ford. Daewoo passes the cost on to the consumer. Ford keeps their price exactly the same(not likely, though - but I'm trying to be as nice as I can).
Aveo: $8,800 cost. 20% increase. $11,000 selling price. Focus: $8,821 cost. $15,000 selling price.
Ford makes lots and lots of money. Shareholders are estatic. The car, unfortunately, is $3000 more than the Aveo and now made with the same $8800 in components. The only way Ford's distributors can stay in business is to outsource themselves to Korea and China. Ford plays the parts shell game to get it claimed as a "domestic" vehicle, or the outsourcers lie.
Nodoby can tell Chinese steel from high-tensile strength new Japanese/American/Euro steel without a lab and tests, afterall.
And you wonder why the transmissions fail so often.
Let me see if I understand your story correctly:
You bought a used vehicle. It broke. Then you took it to the most expensice place possible to get it repaired. Now you are complaining about the cost to fix it. Correct?
And what everybody else saya about cost reductions is probably correct as late model Fords are junk but I attribute it mostly to that Arab bean counter that was in charge a couple of years ago. I'm going to be avoiding Ford and Mazda in the future.
Just for the record Joseph, my eyes are still glazed over and I still couldn't understand your jive.
--
Team EuroMeko