I need an opinion......

I have a 1999 Ford F-150 with Auto Trans........ In the past I have changed the tranny filter (at 50,000 intervals) and added new trans fluid. A mechanic asked me if I have ever had the trans back flushed....
So, opinions.... Trans flush vs change filter and new fluid ?
Thanks, Ron
what you are doing is fine.

How is your tranny? Still smooth and shifting nicely? If so, I wouldn't fix it...It ain't broke....If you want to get a good change, try this: Change the filter and refill with new fluid, like you have been doing. Then, at 2000mile intervals (twice ) repeat the procedure. That should get rid of all of the old fluid, including that in the coverter, and eliminate nearly all of the sludge in the system. I would stay away from flushes where they pump fluid through the tranny. I haven't had it done to any of my vehicles but I have heard some less than positive responses from some who have had it done. Damaged seals and valve bodies seem to be the most common complaint... Just my nickle's worth (inflation you know)!
DaveD

Hi Ron ... flushing a transmision is poop head car science to my reckoning.
Some people even brush the teeth of their dogs as it HELPS ... and no dogs do that in the wild - huh ?
Sooo ... with the transmission ... drain the fluid (sometimes have to pull the bottom pan), replace the filter and what rubber ball bearings there might be in there with the kit.
Transmission fluid replacement I would recommend you consider Chevy Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid if you have a tight, dry, good sealed tranny.
It is almost as good as Red Line and a lot cheaper.
I put that Chevy S/ATF in my Diesel F-250 and from my experience it took 400 miles for the three speed Ford transmission to adjust to the new fluid ... but power, shifting, gas mileage improvement ... is big.
With the 100% Bio-Diesel I am running .. it just purrs down the highway.
I really like it ...
sumbuddie hopes that helps.
:?
Old Harley Rider wrote:

Just out of curiosity, where did you get the idea to do this? Chevy synthetic? What specification is that?
Kruse wrote:

Hi Kruse ..
I live in the Wine Country part of California in Sonoma County ... we have the most highly educated population in the USA.
There are gardeners cutting down your trees that have Master's Degree in their field of expertise.
That being said ...
we also like to THINK OUTSIDE OF THE BOX.
My Ford Diesel Mechanic ... is Breaseale's Automotive in Santa Rosa, 615 Oak Street, 707 578 7733.
Now this guy is a GMC mechanic used to Cadalliacs and high end automotive work ... and is a Chevy man in his training.
On top of that he is highly educated with his 30 years of experience in car science.
I asked him about putting synthetic in my Ford Diesel Three Speed as it was tight and dry.
He gave his recommendation based on his knowledge field ... I took it and drove it ... found it was a big kick up of performance.
So ... there you have it.
Not my idea ...
I just listen to people who KNOW MORE THEN I DO.
Gary Breazeale is one of those Golden Nugget of a Californian ...
a real good man.
sumbuddie wear blind sea
:?
On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 08:25:15 -0700, Alan Mac Farlane

Tested how, exactly? Just by driving it? If so, that is not a valid way to test. Also, if the automotive manufacturer does not say to do it, the owner damn well better not do it--- there are EPA issues, warranty issues, and DoT issues involved.
--
http://desertphile.org
Desertphile wrote:

I agree - I've seen some "Highly Educated People" do some fairly stupid things in my life...
IYM
On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 13:02:05 -0400, IYM <"S U N

Indeed. Some of the synthetic lubricants available do not meet manufacturer's requirements. "Alan Mac Farlane" used the phrase "think outside the box," but of course what he really means is "try it and see if it destroys your transmission or not." There are darn good reasons why automotive engineers go to school for 8 years or more.
--
http://desertphile.org