ID Taurus transaxel?

Have a 99 Taurus. Evidently Ford uses 2 transaxel types on this car, AX4N or AX4S for the 3.0 engines. The type transaxel is supposed to be on a tag
over the bell housing but on mine it has decomposed in engine oil. My book says the TransAx ID is also on the "Main valve cover where it bolts to the unit". How do I know which one I've got?
ID Taurus transaxel? Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Sat, Oct 30, 2004, 12:12pm (EDT-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (AHoudini) Have a 99 Taurus. Evidently Ford uses 2 transaxel types on this car, AX4N or AX4S for the 3.0 engines. The type transaxel is supposed to be on a tag over the bell housing but on mine it has decomposed in engine oil. My book says the TransAx ID is also on the "Main valve cover where it bolts to the unit". How do I know which one I've got? <<<<<<<
If the engine is the 24v Duratec then it's the AX4N. If you've got the Vulcan engine then it could be either the 4N or 4S.
Eric
It IS the Vulcan
Eric Toline wrote in message
ID Taurus transaxel?
Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Sat, Oct 30, 2004, 12:12pm (EDT-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (AHoudini) Have a 99 Taurus. Evidently Ford uses 2 transaxel types on this car, AX4N or AX4S for the 3.0 engines. The type transaxel is supposed to be on a tag over the bell housing but on mine it has decomposed in engine oil. My book says the TransAx ID is also on the "Main valve cover where it bolts to the unit". How do I know which one I've got? <<<<<<<
If the engine is the 24v Duratec then it's the AX4N. If you've got the Vulcan engine then it could be either the 4N or 4S.
Eric
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says...

I'm think only the Vulcan sedan has the light-duty 4S. I think the Vulcan wagon and all Duratec's have the heavier 4N.
Andrew Rossmann wrote:

No, the Vulcan wagons & sedans could have either one.
Rob
AHoudini wrote:

It is stamped into the pan. AX4N: speaks for itself. AXOD or AX4S: it is the AX4S.
Rob
Precicely.
CJB

Precicely.
CJB

CJB opined

Stupid writers! Otherwise known as the transmission pan.

Well it really is a "valve cover" kinda, they are talking about the side cover on the trans. If you take that cover off you find the *valve* body. :) Ive always called it the "side cover". I guess you could call it the "valve body cover" if you really wanted to. The trans pan is on the bottom covering the filter, although the side cover is a pan too, maybe we should call it the valve body pan? :)
Scott M opined

Hmm...my bad,
on earlier units, it's stamped on the bottom pan, like on my 95 for instance