Identify this Crown Vic problem

I read through several postings on the Crown Vic that turned would not turn over. I have a 97 Crown Vic and currently started experiencing that problem this morning. It happened out of nowhere. Everything I
read tended to point to the solenoid. I jumped the car and it started fine but when I disconnected the cables, the Crown Vic died. Could this be caused by a bad solenoid? I recently had a similar problem with my 94 F-150, but found it to be a corrosion in positive cable and replaced. I also checked the battery and although it read 12.5 volts I put it on a trickle charge which I'm waiting for it to charge.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated as this is the only problem I've had with the car which has 180,000 plus miles on it. I'd hate to shoot it because of this little problem.
Thanks in advance,
Phil

Turn on headlights.. how do they react when you attempt to crank... would point out a battery/cable problem
you pay..DEAL with it!

Sounds like a bad alternator to me. Be sure to check the cables thoroughly.
CJB

Sounds like a battery connection or a deader 'n hell battery. The solenoid only comes into plat when you hit the starter in which case the engine will not crank much less start. Also, a battery can have a bad internal jumper bar which may result in a reasonable good statice voltage reading but, will not support a load. Modern EFI engines can really put a load on the electrical system. You need to have it load tested to determine battery condition.
Lugnut