Ignition Key wont return to run position when I start the car 1995 Thunderbird

I have a 1995 Thunderbird
When I turn the key in the ignition to start the car, it will not return to the run possition, it just stays in the further "start"
position. I have to manually rotate it to the run position.
Then I cant turn off the car with the key. I can turn the key manually to the off position and remove the key, but the car keeps running.
Finally I can also change gears without a key in the ignition.
What happened? Is this a bad ignition module? Bad shifter cable?
I'm hoping to get some help by the morning, as I need to drive to work with this car.
Lots of thanks in advance for any advice.
-- --------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ------------------- ----- ---- -- -
Also I wanted to add that I can shift with NO key in the ignition and I dont have to press on the brake either.