Ignition lock cylinder removal

I'm having trouble removing the lock cylinder on a 92 mercury sable. I know that the key is supposed to be in the run position in order to remove the lock, but therein lies the problem. The whole reason that I'm replacing the lock is that the key no longer works. I've tried drilling out the retaining pin, but it must be hardened. I'm not having any luck with that. Any other tips?

Thanks

Reply to
Jon

It's really easy. You will NOT be able to drill the pin. It's hardened steel and floats free in the hole. Take a big screwdriver and pry off the outer collar of the cylinder, the part with the "wings". Tap the screwdriver firmly into the key slot and force it to the "Run" position, depress the pin and remove the cylinder. This will destroy the cylinder but won't hurt the column. If the screwdriver doesn't have wrench flats near the handle (Snap-On, Mac, etc) you may have to clamp vise grips around the shaft to turn it. Push inward on the screwdriver while turning to keep it from camming out of the slot. There is a tool to do just this called a "Ford Bypass Tool" but the last time I looked for it I couldn't locate one. They are only available to locksmiths, repo companies, law enforcement, etc.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

I had already thought of that, and broke a screwdriver that way. It occurs to me now that maybe the wheel is turned slightly and I need to take the pressure off it. Is this a possibility?

Thanks for your response.

Reply to
Jon

Possibly, but you more likely used a screwdriver that was too small or of poor quality. The tip needs to be about 1/2" or wider. Go to your local Sears and get the widest tip driver they have. It'll cost $10-20 but a locksmith will charge lots more. If you damage the upper column housing trying to drill it out, the part is $130 by itself.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Well, I didn't have any luck with the big screwdriver. It ended up deforming the keyway instead of turning the cylinder.

Reply to
Jon

Really!! I've used that trick on dozens of Ford lock cylinders. I'm sorry it didn't work. I wonder if you may have driven the pin in far enough to jam the cylinder in the barrel? You can go at the cylinder with a drill and chisel to remove it. It's a real hassle and you have to be careful not to damage the housing.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

amage the housing.

pound it on further ya foctard h u r c a s t

Reply to
simpson4532

I'm just now getting around posting the results of last weekend's work. I bought a 1/2" drill bit and drilled into the cylinder some more. Within 2 minutes, I had the cylinder (what remained of it) turning and was able to depress the retainer pin. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Jon

Glad to hear it. Locksmith didn't work out I take it.

Reply to
Spike