Ignition Switch Problem 1972 Ford LTD

I have a 1972 LTD SW that does not get driven very much. Last time I had it going was last December. Ran good. I can't get it started now. As I turn the
key, no light oil pressure light ever comes on and no cranking. If I go to accessory position, I can get radio to come on and run windows up and down. The battery is charged and OK. I suspect the ignition switch. For the last year I would have to have the switch just in the right position for the radio and windows to work. It seemed that the ignition switch was failing. Should I change the switch? Is it very difficult to do this.
---
Try tuning it to "on" and jumping the starter relay to is if you are getting power to the coil, WBMA
---
When I switch to On, there is no power to radio, dash board (Alt light), windows. This was a flaky position several months ago, I had to have it just so. Now nothing, so it seems the switch is the one.
---
If I go to the starter solenoid, I can crank the starter, so battery is good. I thought if I removed the dashboard I could get access to the ignition switch, but no way. Do I need to remove the bracket holding the steering wheel in place so that the steering wheel shaft moves down thus getting access to the ignition switch. Help!

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 12:01:43 -0700, "pestocat"

have small hands but it is a half hour or less job.
I had a Ford LTD, 1972 if memory serves. I had a similar problem. The car would not start unless I pressed the key in just the right direction. I took off the steering column cover, and found the switch was coming apart because of a faultily design. The switch is attached to the column by two screws that have the heads broken off. (anti-theft protection) You will need a screw extraction kit to remove them. (ie- drill them out) It is an easy repair once you know what to do. The bad news? The replacement switch went bad a couple of years later- same failure mechanism.
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:17:31 -0700, "pestocat"

My problem is I don't see a way to get to the switch. I took off the covers below the shift lever and the rod to the switch goes below the dash board. Do I loosen the steering column to expose the switch. Thank you
---