In defense of the gasoline-powered internal combustion engine

Page 1 of 2
(Car Lust) - Cars are everywhere because they're fantastic at mobilizing us and giving us the freedom of movement. Today's car and its gasoline-powered internal combustion engine is essentially a
miracle with some rough edges; and while we should acknowledge and work towards removing those rough edges, I want to take some time to recognize the miracle...
Continued: http://snurl.com/IntCombust
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 07:58:06 -0800, Dur

As always, never ever click on URLs that are obfuscated and from posters who you don't know are safe.

The URL redirects twice to something called "carlustblog", which doesn't even have an A record. Copious amounts of "random thought" text, with Javascript & hit-counters mixed in.
Might actually be legit, but I'm not gonna let any browser of mine render it. I used a utility that displays the code, but doesn't render anything.
--
Tegger

You mean like Wikipedia?

What?
--
Tegger

Dur wrote:

The Honda Fit described in the article gets 35 mpg highway, not 40. Even my Ford Focus gets 35 mpg highway. Makes one wonder about the accuracy of the rest of the article.
But, overall, I liked the article and agree with it. Cars with internal combustion engines have some great advantages over other fuel-type vehicle - good for both short distance daily commutes and cross-country drives, quickly filled up, safe and reliable. Electric vehicles don't have the ability to be filled up rapidly (unless you change batteries which is technically possible to do in a few minutes but not often done that way).
Cars are clearly a major advance. So is sanitation (image what it would be like getting rid of all the body waste in an apartment building with 1000 occupants - not mention the waste of all the people in Philly, NYC or San Francisco), clean water, elevators (hard to get past 5 or so floors without elevators, made high rises possible), telephones and internet, and public transportation.
In article <ca6ca7c710 snipped-for-privacy@mail.gmail.com>

fantastic at

Today's car and

essentially a

acknowledge and

some time to

"In defense of the electric car":
http://snurl.com/ElectricCar1
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 19:59:57 +0100, Dur

Again either post the REAL url, or STFU... Clicking on obfuscated URLs is one of the dumbest things that an Internet user could do.
"rough edges".... Would it interest your narrow vision to learn that this "miracle" has been around for over 100 years... and the "rough edges" get knocked off it quite regularly. Take a look at the EcoBoost engine - see where it is in terms of advancement and imagine what the future may bring.
So.... is the infernal (sic) combustion engine a boon? or is it a bust. The answer is a resounding "YES". It has given the world a mobility that the horse and buggy never could... and it has been the cause of much grief. Welcome to real life... this is where we experience trade offs...
As far as internal combustion technology is concerned, I am reasonably sure that the engineers favour the diesel engine over spark ignition engines - the advent of direct gasoline injection may change that - even though the diesel engine requires special, expensive after treatments to meet todays stringent clean air requirements.
Some suggested research. Procure a copy of "The High Speed Internal Combustion Engine" - this was written by Sir Harry Ricardo in 1923 and revised in 1930. If nothing else, you will come to see that physics is physics and not much can change that.
For a little wow factor, Google "Jumo 205"... this was a WW2 two stroke diesel engine used to power some German bombers... For some extra wow check out the Napier Deltic.
Now... comparing the gasoline that a Honda might use to the fuel that a train might use is going to serve what? Let's take the cargo that the train was hauling and put it in the Honda... Just the cargo..... The Honda can't carry that much fuel let alone the fare paying cargo that the train has... talk about a useless comparison.
If we could just get people to refrain from defeating emissions controls......

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 19:53:27 GMT, "Jim Warman"

Care to point out some verifiable examples of where this is happening?

Doesn't matter. Anyone wanting its demise, or belittling its importance, and is unwilling to give theirs up, should STFU.
Not doing so makes proves you to be the hypocrite and idiot that you are.

Certainly it matters. If it was brought up, it must matter.

Define 'its'?

I see only one idiot, and it ain't me!

"Define 'its'."
Considering the context, you really need to reconsider that last sentence.

So even you can't define "its" in that poorly written bit of prose. Oh, well, not surprising.

<yawn>
Next.

Sorry, but this sentence appears to contradict itself.
Someone would want the demise of emissions controls but be unwilling to give his up?
--
Tegger

No contradiction at all.
Look at Gore. He wants internal combustion engines gone, while he drives around in SUVs, limos, and private jets.
All I'm saying is that their elitists. Period.
They should first eschew their personal use, then ask others to do the same.
said:>>

Then maybe you meant to put your sentence the other way: wanting the strict /imposition/ of emissions controls for others, but not for one's self.
--
Tegger

I see what you mean, but I've heard some of these people want the complete elimination of ICEs for everyone ELSE.
If one seriously advocates complete elimination of the ICE, then they're the ones that should start the ball rolling by giving their up first.
But they won't.

Could you please take a remedial English course, and learn to use English properly? "Their"? WTF?