In defense of the gasoline-powered internal combustion engine

Page 2 of 2
He cdnuolt blveiee taht he cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht he was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the
ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the first and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it wouthit a porbelm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? LOL

On 25/01/2010 6:53 AM, PeterD wrote:

You must be a liberal-democrat. While being technically correct, your mind isn't sophisticated enough to overlook the error and move on without a jab instead of a reasonable retort. You feel the need to piss people off, because you are an Obama sheeples.
Gore to hypocritical POS. Like they said, it was all about the money. Not abbout the cause, even Obama is proving the righties on this. Obama the talk and spend a lot promises to buy America out of debt.
LMAO. Liberals are scum.

The Internal combustion engine is19th century technology. It is an antiquated design with metal rubbing against metal.
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 13:11:56 -0800 (PST), edspyhill01

That's your opinion. However TODAY'S internal combustion engine is 20th century technology, with a bit of 21st century technology coaxing it along. Or you could say it is 21st century technology moving some 20th century mechanicals. What differnetiates the 21st century internal combustion engine from the 19th century technology it is "loosely" based on is the 21st century controls that allow it to produce more power out of less fuel with lower exhaust emissions than you could have drempt of, on all 3 levels, 25 to 50 years ago.
As for metal rubbing on metal???? Today's lubrication technology combined with the quality of mechanical finish almost totally eliminates metal to metal friction at the molecular level.
Is the internal combustion engine the engine of the future??? Long term, most likely not, but within our lifespan??? I'd say, for most of us, an almost unqualified YES.
Petroleum powered? Most likely, and very hopefiully - - NOT. Cellulose based Ethanol and bio-sourced oils are most likely to be the mid-term fuel of choice for transportation.
I envision high temperature thermally efficient ceramic engines running on fuel derived from fast-growing algae using direct injection, spark ignition with a combination of variable compression, variable displacement and variable valve timing, running unthrottled like most current deisels and pushing 70% thermal efficiency within 10 years. Mabee not totally of the "tit" of petroleum that soon - but the basic technological advances WILL be there.
On 23/01/2010 2:11 PM, edspyhill01 wrote:

So we should trade in recyclable iron and alumium for non-degradable plastics and ceramics?
Seems to me that th gasoline formuala is over 100 years old now. What can be done to boost it's output and lower net consumption?
Once again our friend Canuck57 is telling us the sky is falling LOL

Mike Hunter wrote:

Once again, our friend Mike Hunter is showing the effects of drinking too much alcohol before typing.
Jeff

Little dr jeffy is losing his argument again so he likes to call people names and and and be nasty as he rides the subway, types on his laptop while using the wi-fi for free, LOL.
Little jeffy is a dr you know. LOL.

edspyhill01 wrote:

Really? A Ford Duratec engine looks nothing like an original Diamler or Otto engine.
Your argument is like saying that we should use gas stoves because it uses millennia-old technology (fire).
JEff
Dur wrote:

Death of the Electric Car: Li-ion Batteries Too Valuable for Plug-In Vehicles http://seekingalpha.com/article/183543-death-of-the-electric-car-li-ion-batteries-too-valuable-for-plug-in-vehicles?source=article_sb_popular
The writer of that article failed to take in to account that true electric vehicles, once they meet their potential, will cost far less to produce than the current gasoline powered cars.
Compare the difference in price between gas and electric weed whackers and lawn mowers today for example.
message

http://seekingalpha.com/article/183543-death-of-the-electric-car-li-ion-batteries-too-valuable-for-plug-in-vehicles?source=article_sb_popular
Maybe in a long time into the future. But certainly not in the next 5 years.
Just the lithium required for a small fleet of these anti-green plastic cars is going to cause years of shortages and costs will spike.
Until some new undiscovered battery technology comes out, electric cars are a fad. GM Volt is a high priced golf cart with headlights.
BTW, I bet the headlights, heaters and A/C all reduce it's safe highway range with makes them a nuisance.