In-the-window antenna, '97 Crown Vic

I have a '97 Crown Vic LX. This is the model that has the car's antenna part of the defroster layout in the rear window -- the zig zag at the top.
Anyway, this car came with an aftermarket radio. A JVC KD-G800, if
that makes any difference. The previous owner said that after the new radio was put in he couldn't get any radio stations in and this continues to be the case. The CD/MP3 player worked perfectly and continues to do so. I tried an old whip antenna in the radio and it brought in stations perfectly.
I was in Best Buy looking at a new radio (Pioneer FH-P5000 double DIN) and started to talk to the sales guy. He told me that the glass-mounted antennae are considered a power antenna and they have a seperate power hook-up which must be attached to the 12 volt lead on the radio or I won't get any stations. I can almost see the legitimacy of this but not quite.
When I took the radio out to check for the power antenna wire he mentioned, I could find no such thing. Was he telling me a story or is this the case? More importantly, do I have to have a special radio for this set-up?
Any and all relevant insight is most welcome!!
Thanks, Bob
On 8 Mar 2005 11:13:31 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

was his name jim warman?
the guy is full of crap
buy after market power antenna run a wires
trhe seperate wire is power ant wire it is on back of your sterio
hurc ast
hurc ast
I have the same antenna on my '95 Vic. When I got the car, someone had yanked the head unit. 2 aftermarket units did OK on FM but AM sucked. I finally found the problem. There IS an amplifier for this antenna. It lives under the trunk deck. It is possible to connect an antenna line to run up front to either the lead from the antenna or from the output of the amplifier. It must go thru the amp, first. The amp must have it's power line attached. It does not get power from the head unit. My reception problem was a damaged adapter from the antenna amp to the front of the car. A new $9 adapter fixed it.
I realize your car is a couple of years newer but I expect it is very similar. Most of the radios were just controls and a tape player up front, the innards are in the trunk. My trunk unit is still there but it's not connected to anything.
You might check Ebay for a Ford Factory service manual - mine paid for itself in a few months.
Paul

wisdom:

had

It
the
power
reception
car.
front,
not
Thanks for that tip, Paul! I did find what I think to be the location of the antenna amp in the trunk. In there, on the passenger side, behind a panel, there is a plug with three wires. There isn't anything plugged into it, though, so I suspect that's where the amp was removed. The wire from the antenna assembly there to the front of the car is still there. There is an antenna plug in the front where the radio is (and is plugged into the radio).
Do you remember where you got this adapter? It might be the solution to a very vexing problem!!
I'm also going to be picking up a service manual for the car. I've had one for every car I've owned and I agree about their value!
Thanks again!
Just about any decent aftermarket hi-fi store should have one. The kit got actually had two adapters, I needed both to make the connection. I don't think it was much over $12. Heck, you might even find it at walmart - but try to go to an independant car audio shop - the small guys need the business and will probably even offer advice.
Paul

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Bob, The original "radio" in your instrument panel is just a remote head unit, kind of like the remote control on your TV. The actual "radio" is in the trunk. I think that's your main problem, that's where the antenna cable goes. There is a unit between the window and the rear module, but IIRC it doesn't amplify the signal. Your aftermarket radio probably needs the antenna input directly to the unit in the instrument panel. You should be able to locate an extension cable locally to route the cable "up front". The reason for locating the RF\AF chassis away from the head unit was to deter theft of the entire radio, the unit in the instrument panel is useless without the "other half" in the trunk. Aftermarket installation in a modern vehicle can be convoluted and frustrating, but keep in mind; if it's hard for you, it's just as hard for a thief.
        Tom"I've had many radios stolen"Adkins
On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 23:33:03 -0500, Tom Adkins

why do they steel sterios? is it a craze whereu live?
hurc ast
snipped-for-privacy@usenet.com wrote:

Yep, Kinda like me stealing your male virginity. How 'bout it hurc....damn you make me hot!! I want you .......
On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 04:39:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@usenet.com wrote:
~On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 23:33:03 -0500, Tom Adkins
~
~>> I have a '97 Crown Vic LX. This is the model that has the car's ~>> antenna part of the defroster layout in the rear window -- the zig zag ~>> at the top. ~>> ~>> Anyway, this car came with an aftermarket radio. A JVC KD-G800, if ~>> that makes any difference. The previous owner said that after the new ~>> radio was put in he couldn't get any radio stations in and this ~>> continues to be the case. The CD/MP3 player worked perfectly and ~>> continues to do so. I tried an old whip antenna in the radio and it ~>> brought in stations perfectly. ~>> ~>> I was in Best Buy looking at a new radio (Pioneer FH-P5000 double DIN) ~>> and started to talk to the sales guy. He told me that the ~>> glass-mounted antennae are considered a power antenna and they have a ~>> seperate power hook-up which must be attached to the 12 volt lead on ~>> the radio or I won't get any stations. I can almost see the legitimacy ~>> of this but not quite. ~>> ~>> When I took the radio out to check for the power antenna wire he ~>> mentioned, I could find no such thing. Was he telling me a story or is ~>> this the case? More importantly, do I have to have a special radio for ~>> this set-up? ~>> ~>> Any and all relevant insight is most welcome!! ~>> ~>> Thanks, ~>> Bob ~>> ~> Bob, ~> The original "radio" in your instrument panel is just a remote head unit, kind of ~>like the remote control on your TV. The actual "radio" is in the trunk. I think that's ~>your main problem, that's where the antenna cable goes. There is a unit between the ~>window and the rear module, but IIRC it doesn't amplify the signal. Your aftermarket ~>radio probably needs the antenna input directly to the unit in the instrument panel. ~>You should be able to locate an extension cable locally to route the cable "up front". ~>The reason for locating the RF\AF chassis away from the head unit was to deter theft ~>of the entire radio, the unit in the instrument panel is useless without the "other ~>half" in the trunk. Aftermarket installation in a modern vehicle can be convoluted and ~>frustrating, but keep in mind; if it's hard for you, it's just as hard for a thief. ~> ~>        Tom"I've had many radios stolen"Adkins ~ ~ ~why do they steel sterios? ~is it a craze whereu live? ~ ~hurc ast
__________________________ "I didn't take no stereos" Ben Johnson, 1988 Olympics ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯